Braised Brussels Sprouts With Bacon And Pecans

Started by Habanero Smoker, November 21, 2007, 03:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Even children love this recipe, which still surprises me to this day. When I was a kid I hated brussel sprouts.

BRAISED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH BACON AND PECANS
Serves 8 to 10

8    strips bacon, chopped
2    large shallots, chopped fine
2    cloves garlic, minced
2    pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved through stem ends if too small to halve cut a "X" ¼"  deep in the stem end.
1    cup low-sodium chicken broth
½ -1   teaspoons sugar (optional)
2    teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves   
4    teaspoons sherry vinegar  (I use Nakano Rice vinegar instead)
3    tablespoons unsalted butter 
     Table salt and ground black pepper to taste
½    cup pecans, toasted and chopped
¼- ½   teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)     

1. Fry chopped bacon in 12" skillet over medium heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate. Pour off excess grease but do not wipe skillet clean. Be careful not to burn the bacon.

2. Cook shallots in same skillet over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Toss Brussels sprouts with shallots and garlic, add broth, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, tossing once or twice, until paring knife can be inserted into sprouts without resistance, about 13 to 18 minutes. (Some times cooking times can go as long as 25 minutes)

4. Stir in thyme, sherry vinegar (use Nakano rice vinegar for a sweeter taste), butter, reserved bacon, salt and pepper to taste, and sugar (if using). Remove from heat after butter has melted, and transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle pecans on top. Serve immediately.

Variation:   In step 4 eliminate the thyme, add an additional 2 tablespoons of butter, and add 3/4 - 1 cup of Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs. You can sprinkle on some thyme over the brussell sprouts after they have been transferred into a serving bowl.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteWhen I was a kid I hated brussel sprouts.

My children hate brussel sprouts also, seems to be pretty much universal amongst many kids of all generations! May well give this a try and see if I can con em into eating BS's!  ;) :D
Manxman

LilSmoker

Thanks Habs, i'll definately give that a try, i also hated brussels sprouts when i was a kid, i think it was the smell?  :o ;D

Anyway nowdays i love em!, especially the really small ones  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

manxman

Sorry to post off topic but just wanted to say congrats to LS on achieving hero member status!  :)
Manxman

Mr Walleye

Man.... You guys are all weird!  ;D

I always licked them.... even when I was a kid!  :P

Now that I think about it.... maybe it's me that's weird!  ???

Recipe looks great Habs!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

MWS

Quote from: Mr Walleye on November 21, 2007, 02:48:28 PM

I always licked them.... even when I was a kid!  :P

Licking brussell sprouts? And your calling them wierd?  ;) :D
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Mr Walleye

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

LilSmoker

Quote from: manxman on November 21, 2007, 02:48:14 PM
Sorry to post off topic but just wanted to say congrats to LS on achieving hero member status!  :)

Thanks Manx, think i'll treat myself to celebrate, maybe get some brussels sprouts and give em a good licking!  :o ;D ;) (Sorry Mike)  ;)

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

After reading Mike's post, I may have some issues at the table this year. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

LMAO...... Man you guys are killing me here. Everybody in the office is looking at me strang because I'm laughing so hard!

I can see it now!.... everybody sitting around the dinner table "lickin' sprouts"!

::)  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

West Coast Kansan

Thanks for sharing HabS  :) Going to try to keep a couple between my cheek and gum - not exactly licking I know but will savor them longer.  ;D

Happy Holiday  :D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

MWS

Licking brussel sprouts is a secret longtime Canadian Thanksgiving tradition (thanks for leaking it Mr. Walleye). You give thanks...you raise a brussel sprout....you lick it. What's wrong with that....

P.S. Don't tell them about the carrots!!
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Mr Walleye

Hey MWS

The "Great Canadian Carrot Secret" is safe with me!  ;)

Shhhh! It's top Secret!  8)

Mike

Carter

It's a little off topic, but for some reason, this thread made me think of an old Bob Newhart sketch.

This one's a beauty.

http://www.monologues.co.uk/Bob_Newhart/Tobacco.htm

Carter