Opinion about getting a custom heating element made

Started by sybercruzn, December 27, 2010, 03:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sybercruzn

Hello,
 Newbie here to the forums and was thinking of a quick solution for the heating element challenge. First, I have no electrical experience or know-how (just an over active imagination and curiosity that would kill plenty of cats) anyways....  I was looking at replacement elements for the BDS and got the notion that if it was a standard element it may have a brother out there in the 900w or 1000w plus range.  So after some googling (hehe) I did come across a site that makes custom quartz heating elements.  Here is a sampling of what I thought was interesting:

Depending on the design, our elements can reach full output in as little as 30 seconds and typically cool down to 50 percent output in under 15 seconds. The quartz element is ideal for applications where process  stoppages are anticipated or quick heat up or cool down is necessary. The elements can be turned off between production runs to save energy, and/or can have their output controlled with inexpensive controllers for precise control.

Performance Capabilities

* Standard watt densities up to 80 W/in of heated length (32W/cm), and up to 100 W/in by request*
   * Element temperatures up to 2000°F (1100°C)

First off....is this a BAD idea???  My porch and house are allergic to fire.  Am I correct in my thinking that these guys may be able to custom build a heating element to fit the BDS and make it around the 900w + range? ( thus, circumventing the whole custom second element or 900w replacement builds)   If so, what are the exact dimensions of the BDS 500w element?  What would be the ideal wattage of a custom element be without blowing the fuse or causing any other electrical havoc?

Feel free to rip this idea apart or if there are some unforeseen hazards I am unaware of (ignorance is bliss...and dangerous) so please let me know.  Thanks for any input about this.

***sorry the original post left out the website..  it is here.  http://www.quartzinfrared.com  Glad to see some people looking into this further***

TestRocket

My first thought is the controller in the Bradley's (OBS and DBS) are designed around a 500 watt element and doubling (or almost) IMHO could damage your unit. Most everyone that is installing a second (or larger) element is controlling it with a different controller such as a PID. In my case I installed the second 500 watt element with a separate on/off switch so I can use my OBS as it came from the factory (second element switched off) or use the PID to control both elements at the same time. I hope this helps!

beefmann

here is a thought and a solution for more heat, and I do run a 100 cfm blower on mine and now a timer / pid

the heater mod

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.0

the timer / pid and yes the timer switches between the smoke generator and fan pid controller which controls the heater

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17304.0

classicrockgriller

If I could choose the size element for my Bradley,

I (and this is just my opinion) think a 750 to 800 watt element for

a 4 racker is enough and a 1000 watt for the 6 racker.

drod

Same problem happened to me today. 4th use and heating element wont work

classicrockgriller

Quote from: drod on January 04, 2011, 03:20:55 PM
Same problem happened to me today. 4th use and heating element wont work

I think they got hold of a bad supply of elements.

Give Bradley a call and they will fix you up!

squirtthecat

This is interesting...

I found the website he was referring to.   Does anyone have some close-up pics of the Bradley heating element ends, and the exact length?

I think a drop-in 700 watt element upgrade would be a quick and easy mod.

classicrockgriller

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 04, 2011, 04:54:48 PM
from tip of porcelain is 13"

Thanks Sonny!     I might get one of these to play with...    I'll be sure and report back.

classicrockgriller

NePaSmoKer

i think i would like 2000* if i was powder coating in my 6 rack  :D :D

pwaldman

So my second element from Bradley just went out (2 in 3 months) and while they are sending me a new one I decided to go a different route.  I have ordered this element http://www.quartzinfrared.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50250&Category_Code=26&Product_Count=19 which I believe dimensionally will be a drop in.  The glass is just under 12" and the small ceramic tips extend about .3 ".  Only difference is the attachment but that should be easy enough.  Get an additional 200 watts for the OBS 4 rack with a fan mod (already done) and I think I should be in good shape.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Pete

TestRocket

Hey Pete,

Please keep us updated on the 700 watt element and how well it works out with the install and also the control factor in the OBS.

Thanks!  ;D

sybercruzn

Hmmm...This may be promising then.  I hope so.   :) :) :)

ADH