Temp. Control

Started by JoeKS, June 11, 2011, 03:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeKS

Is it common for my actuqal oven temp. to fluctuate so much? usually no more then 5 degrees warmer but sometimes as much as 12 degrees cooler. Maybe I should quit watching it so much. LOL
I should also add this my first smoke after seasoning yesterday and really the only 4th time ever I have smoked anything....ever.  ??? ???

GusRobin

yes the digital will have large temp swings
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

WideGlideMike00

Are we talking -both- OBS and DBS having temp. swings?

Tenpoint5

In all actuality 5-12º isnt just too bad for temp swings I have heard as much as +/- 20 swings. But yes it is normal fo rthe temp to swing as the heating element cycles on and off
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

i have had temp swings up to 20 degrees on cooler days  with a breeze

ghost9mm

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 12, 2011, 09:25:56 AM
In all actuality 5-12º isnt just too bad for temp swings I have heard as much as +/- 20 swings. But yes it is normal fo rthe temp to swing as the heating element cycles on and off

X2
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SoCalBill

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 12, 2011, 09:25:56 AM

This is good to know. I am smoking for the first time and have the unit set at 220 and it is hitting 240+ and then back down. It was worrying me as I have two racks of ribs try to follow your 3-2-1 guide

ghost9mm

This where you start to become interested in a PID and put it in charge on the temperature control, and you can take a rest from checking so much...the PID will keep the Bradley temps within + or - a few degrees .
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SoCalBill

Quote from: ghost9mm on July 09, 2011, 04:22:38 PM
This where you start to become interested in a PID and put it in charge on the temperature control, and you can take a rest from checking so much...the PID will keep the Bradley temps within + or - a few degrees .

There are so many of them i wouldn't even know where to start

Tiny Tim

Just for giggles, check your kitchen oven out for temp swings.

GusRobin

Quote from: SoCalBill on July 09, 2011, 11:32:27 PM
Quote from: ghost9mm on July 09, 2011, 04:22:38 PM

There are so many of them i wouldn't even know where to start
www.auberins.com has 2 models for the Bradley.
One with single probe
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=72

One with dual probes.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=151&zenid=c85bc66e3afbc40d493876301bf931a3

If the budget fits, get the dual probe model. Either case, get the standard hanging probe not the wall mounted.

OR - you can build one a lot cheaper
forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22065.0

hope this helps
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.