How often do you use 6 racks or wish you had more space?

Started by ffrcoupe, August 10, 2011, 04:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffrcoupe

For those of you who have a 6 rack DBS, how often do you use all 6 racks?

For those of you who have a 4 rack smoker, how often do you wish you had more space?

I'm trying to figure out which to buy.

TIA.

standles

I rarely use all six rack unless I am doing jerky.   However, I do like the extra space when I am doing multiple butts or chicken.   

I bought the 6 rack DBS..   I like the six rack but do not like the digital.  After a season I ditched the digital controls on the Bradley and use a PID now.   Might be worth a call to Bradley to see if they would sell a 6rack with the non-digital smoke controller.

Steven

ghost9mm

ffrcoupe... while I haven't done it yet, several people here on the forum have added  shelves to their smokers, they doubled the shelves in their smokers...and I am sure some where here on the forum there are some pictures...someone will come along that knows where they are...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

beefmann

out of the 5 plus years i have owned a 4 rack I only stuffed it 3 or 4 times and that is the only time i wished i owned a larger Smoker. I typically smoke for my family and small groups of 10 to 15 people at a time.

The most i have smoked was 40 lbs of Tri Tip a few years back for a large picnic of 70 people where  everyone brought dishes so it turned out  quite well and came home with a few lbs  left.

Quarlow

I have a a 4 rack OBS. Everytime I do nuts or salmon or jerky I wish I could have a 6 rack OBS. But forget it it ain;t gonna happen. I gots that from a fairly reliable source (Brian) that they won't be doing it. Quiute often I fill mine, but there is a solution to this. You can get a 12 rack kit from Yard and Pool which will add 8 racks to your 4 rack cabinet.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Take a peek at this:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14951.0

I also have an OBS that is set up the same as the 6 rack.

Like Q said you can make it a 12 racker.

It helps quite a bit in spacing of you smokes.

Habanero Smoker

I have the OBS. I often run 2 or 3 racks. But it is not how many rack I can put into it, I often wish the inside height was greater.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ffrcoupe

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 11, 2011, 02:53:52 AM
I have the OBS. I often run 2 or 3 racks. But it is not how many rack I can put into it, I often wish the inside height was greater.

That's what I'm thinking. It's not that I would fill it up but rather than I would have more space to let's say smoke three turkeys or somthin'.

There is a $180.00 difference between an OBS & a 6 rack DBS which over the life of the product is NBD.

It's too bad that Bradley doesn't make a 6 rack (height wise) OBS.

Not trying to hijack my own thread but what is the purpose of adding a fan or two? Is it to circulate the air/smoke to make it like a convection oven?

OU812

Thats the main reason I got the 6 rack,,,,,,for the height when makin sausage.

It is now an 18 rack and with that many shelfs I can place what ever I'm cookin where ever I want.

Not to mention that with 18 racks I can do a 20 lb batch of snack sticks.

I also have the duel element set up along with 2 fans.

The fans help allot with evening out the temp of the smoker.

Bigbirdoffroad

Gotta agree with OU812. I have the 6 rack because I can hang long summer sausage.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

ffrcoupe

Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 10, 2011, 07:55:07 PM
Take a peek at this:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14951.0

I also have an OBS that is set up the same as the 6 rack.

Like Q said you can make it a 12 racker.

It helps quite a bit in spacing of you smokes.

That is a beastie.

ffrcoupe

Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on August 11, 2011, 10:45:28 AM
Gotta agree with OU812. I have the 6 rack because I can hang long summer sausage.

Not only that, with the racks kits (which I have yet to find on Y&P) I could set it up so I can move racks around at will.

I guess it boils down to how much interior space you want.

OU812

Quote from: ffrcoupe on August 11, 2011, 12:44:59 PM

Not only that, with the racks kits (which I have yet to find on Y&P) I could set it up so I can move racks around at will.

Heres a link to the rack kit.

http://www.smokeandstuff.com/

If you got a hack saw, drill and the time you can make the shelf outta 1/2 aluminum angle.

ffrcoupe

Quote from: OU812 on August 11, 2011, 12:59:25 PM
Heres a link to the rack kit.

http://www.smokeandstuff.com/

If you got a hack saw, drill and the time you can make the shelf outta 1/2 aluminum angle.

Cool. Thanks for the linky. I build them myself but it would take too long and would look like s**t.

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: ffrcoupe on August 11, 2011, 12:44:59 PM

Uh, I don't get what your saying with the "smiley" face holding the "W". I guess I'm not up on the hip forum posting. Getting old you know. ::)
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!