Garage Rigging / Smokin in the Rain

Started by STLstyle, March 15, 2012, 07:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kahunas

Quote from: Marko723 on June 14, 2012, 07:54:13 AM
Quote from: Kahunas on May 20, 2012, 05:53:17 AM
I keep mine on the deck in a Suncast shed that I modified with a vent so I can cook in the rain and snow with the doors closed.

I'd love to see what that set-up looks like.  I've been trying to come up with an idea to house/use mine in non-ideal weather conditions.
Ill take a picture tonight and send it to you.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

TedEbear

I'd love to see what that set-up looks like.  I've been trying to come up with an idea to house/use mine in non-ideal weather conditions.

Here are a few:

Brand new and smokin' now I have Pictures

BDS Storage

viper125

Just remember! Even next to the house or garage,sitting on a deck or porch is as dangerous as smoking in a garage or more. I use a garage not hooked to the house. you live and sleep in the house. And these things if not handled correctly or allowed to build up grease and things are dangerous. So no matter where you decide to house it. Keep it clean and free of oil and grease. We wash racks and pan and vpan every time. Also clean grease from cabinet. Also consider a permanent cold smoking system. THis removes the wood and smoldering embers that are most likely to cause the fire. The electric element has no spark or flame just like a electric oven. And a very slim chance of starting a fire. Also dont let what you are smoking touch or even to close to the walls,or it will run down past the v tray. Being careful and clean you wont have any problems. They use the same type systems and even some Bradleys in resturants inside to smoke too!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Marko723

Quote from: TedEbear on June 14, 2012, 08:37:41 AM

Here are a few:

Brand new and smokin' now I have Pictures

BDS Storage

Nice and compact, easy to blend in to the rest of the yard.   

Thanks for sharing!

Mark

Marko723

Quote from: viper125 on June 14, 2012, 11:41:47 AM
Just remember! Even next to the house or garage,sitting on a deck or porch is as dangerous as smoking in a garage or more. I use a garage not hooked to the house. you live and sleep in the house. And these things if not handled correctly or allowed to build up grease and things are dangerous. So no matter where you decide to house it. Keep it clean and free of oil and grease. We wash racks and pan and vpan every time. Also clean grease from cabinet. Also consider a permanent cold smoking system. THis removes the wood and smoldering embers that are most likely to cause the fire. The electric element has no spark or flame just like a electric oven. And a very slim chance of starting a fire. Also dont let what you are smoking touch or even to close to the walls,or it will run down past the v tray. Being careful and clean you wont have any problems. They use the same type systems and even some Bradleys in resturants inside to smoke too!

Excellent tips!    Thanks!

I'm handy with wood tools, so odds are I'll build something that can be placed near the back of the yard away from the house and garage.  As I see the pictures, I'm getting a better idea of size, air flow, and what safety precautions I need to take.  (i.e. metal roof vs asphalt shingles).

Mark

TedEbear

Quote from: Marko723 on June 14, 2012, 12:01:42 PM
I'm handy with wood tools, so odds are I'll build something that can be placed near the back of the yard away from the house and garage.

If you want to build one as opposed to something like the plastic Suncast here's an idea:

Habitat for the OBS

Marko723

Quote from: TedEbear on June 14, 2012, 05:33:34 PM
Quote from: Marko723 on June 14, 2012, 12:01:42 PM
I'm handy with wood tools, so odds are I'll build something that can be placed near the back of the yard away from the house and garage.

If you want to build one as opposed to something like the plastic Suncast here's an idea:

Habitat for the OBS

That`s a nice looking unit.   The only thing that I haven`t noticed on most of the units is a fresh air intake into the cabinet. I assume there needs to be some type of fresh air vent if the doors are closed.

Scotty-G

Since folks are sharin'

got my cabinet outside
made a few runs and it works great!
no smoke build up inside when its running
can operate in the rain, at night and can even keep the doors closed  :D
Hot and cold smoke capable

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Tardis rocks!

Tip on the Suncast cabinets...   They are top heavy and act like a sail in the wind, so you'll want to secure it to something.

Marko723

dsmiley

Quote from: hal4uk on March 15, 2012, 07:39:32 PM
I'm one of those that recommends against the idea ---
BUT lots of folks here do it with no trouble.

Just remember Murphy's Law (and your family)...
Your call.
Awrighten.

hal4uk, do you have any particulars on this photo?  I am planning to smoke in the garage during the winter but this photo is scary.  Do you know what caused this fire?  Thanks.

Dean
"You will thank us for smoking."

Dean

viper125

Yes dont clean and let grease build up or let it run on pucks and you get this. Surprised Bradley hasn't forbidden the photo since they have some threads of it. I suppose if  you drink a lot and don't clean your tools this would be a possibility. But with out proof of any thing else I can not see how this is possible. If it was so dangerous. Your electric ovens would be burning down houses daily. nothing inside to burn but grease or wood pucks. Use it correctly and set it up with a cold smoke box and it would be really hard to do!
Inside setup.

hal4uk

Quote from: dsmiley on June 18, 2012, 04:20:31 PM
Quote from: hal4uk on March 15, 2012, 07:39:32 PM
I'm one of those that recommends against the idea ---
BUT lots of folks here do it with no trouble.

Just remember Murphy's Law (and your family)...
Your call.
Awrighten.

hal4uk, do you have any particulars on this photo?  I am planning to smoke in the garage during the winter but this photo is scary.  Do you know what caused this fire?  Thanks.

Dean
I forgot who posted this mishap originally --- it was a year or two ago.
I just saved the image so I'd have it handy for responses to questions like this post.

No doubt, it involved a bit of "operator error", but hey --- you ever make a mistake?
Only takes one time.

I ain't telling anyone not to try it (some have done it safely for years)...
Got wife?  kids?  dog?
Bottom line: It's your house.

Someone might jackslap me (again) for my opinion on this matter. 
But, if just one of y'all are still alive next week cause I post sumthin' to think about, I really don't care.

P.S. ---- That mishap image ain't peculiar to Bradley Smokers.
Any smoker (or grill, or related fire-prone doo-dad) could burn down your house.
That's why they say "Outdoor Use Only".
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

viper125

Yes you are right. Including your stove oven,heater,toaster, or coffee maker to name a couple. Any thing using electric, gas of any sort. But failing to clean grease,dirt or oil is not an operator error its stupidity and uncleanliness. Just saying house burn from all sort of things daily. And these are no more dangerous. Lets not forget all the natural gas lines in home blowing up houses. Even some trucks cares and even planes wreaking into homes. Pot holes sucking up complete blocks, oh an earthquakes tornados and more. Man might be safer to camp out in a tent. Houses are just down right unsafe! :-[
Inside setup.