New to Bradley - Questions before I buy

Started by Kane, December 13, 2007, 05:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane

Hey everyone.

Ive wanted to get a Bradley for some time and I think Im finally gonna break down and buy one. Owns a brinkmann but hasnt used it much. Always seemed to be such a pain.

anyway Ive got that same ol newbie question... Digital or Original.  I already own a Maverick ET-73.  money isnt any issue I just wanna get the easier to use machine.   

Can you cold smoke in both types?

any thoughts will be helpful

thanks, Kane

Wildcat

Both are great units.  I have the original in Stainless. 
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoked

Hey Kane- welcome to the forum from another relatively new Bradley customer.  I had a Brinkmann too before I bought my 6 rack Digital.. I went with that as I wanted the added space...  I think that both types allow you to cold smoke but I'll let the more experienced members of this forum answer that.   There's a bunch of great info on this site that should help before-- and after-- you buy your Bradley!

Ed

Mr Walleye

Hi Kane and welcome!

WC is right, you can't go wrong with either one. I have the DBS.

The OBS has a temp slider on it and maybe has a slight learning curve but from what I hear not bad. The OBS is a little easier to setup for cold smoking because it doesn't have a temp probe wire running from the smoke generator to the tower. Because the OBS is worth less money you can always add a PID or a BBQ Guru to it to control the temps for you.

The DBS does have the advantage of being able to maintain a temp with in 10 or 15 degrees. The only drawback is the timer has a maximum time of 9 hours & 40 Minutes. Some view this as a problem however I really don't see it as one because even if you are doing an overnighter all you have to do is reset the timer before you go to bed. To setup for cold smoking you do need to extend the length of the temp sensor wire. Again not that big of deal.

You will be happy with either..... If price is not a factor I would go with an OBS and add a DigiQ II by BBQ Guru.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Kane

how hard is it to hook up this Digi Q to the OBS and what advantagages does that give me?

Mr Walleye

It's pretty much plug & play. I don't have one... yet! I built a PID which I have connected to my DBS and it controls my temps + or - 1 degree. The DigiQ is a nice looking unit for sure and has some added features such as a ramp feature. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/bbqDigiQ.cfm

Here is another link to my current setup.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6075.0

Mike

La Quinta

Hey Kane...just pull the trigger...both units are great!!! We have the OBS and are good with it. If you want to get a digi...just do it! We went with the less exspensive model, at first, to make sure we liked it...Bradley's... whatever model you buy, are awesome!!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Kane;

Welcome to the forum.

I have the Raptor/DigiQ II, and the hook up is very easy. If you already have the DigiQ II, you will need to purchase the Raptor. Before you purchase the Raptor you may want to wait until the early part of next year. Shotgun Fred is coming out with a new version of the Raptor and it may cost less because the new version cuts down his production cost.

The advantage of the DigiQ II is that it will control your cabinet to + 2°F. You can pretty much set it and forget it. Here is a link to a thread that pretty much covers everything.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5859.0

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hillbillysmoker

You will certainly be happy with whichever unit you choose. I have the OBS and have add the Guru/Raptor. I personally would wait on the new Guru unit, but that is merely personal opinion. It is nice to have you on the forum.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Kane

thanks for all the replys. Im even more confused on what to get. laughs

wont I have all the same abilities with the DBS and a Maverick Et-73 as I would with a OBS with DigiQ/Raptor?   right now I want simple and easy to use with the ability to do some cold smokes from time to time.

I mean if its really thought by you guys that the OBS with DigiQ will be my best option longterm than Ill have to seriously consider that. its just a lil overwhelming being Im new without the knowledge

Tiny Tim

Whichever you choose will be the right choice.  Make it easy on yourself, Heads it's the Original, Tails it's the Digital...flip the coin and if you're wishing one way or the other, go with it regardless of what comes out of the flip, otherwise abide by the flip.

Mr Walleye

Kane

You could do what I did when I started and that is with the DBS (no add ons). You will be able to hot smoke right away with pretty decent temp regulation. I would still use a temp probe such as the Maverick ET73. Like I said you will have to lengthen the temp probe wire in order to cold smoke, but nothing wrong with that and it's not a big job to do.

I like to tinker, so.... I pretty much modify everything!  ::)

Mike

Wildcat

Since money is not an issue get both (his and hers).  :D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Kane

just ordered a DBS in Black. Im sure Ill be happy with it. thanks for the help! Ill be around with more questions.

Kane

Kane

Im all anxious to receive my smoker. sounds like Ill get it 12-19.  Im already working up plans to create a nice setup in the garage. something similar to Mr Walleye.  My garage is the hangout anyway so thats where it has to go.

My question to Mike - Im most likely gonna set up a range hood like your setup. I have 2  vents already in place at the peak of my roof. I took some rough measurements trying to figure out how I wanna vent the hood to outside. Im lookin at about a 3 foot pipe run with a slight bend to run the pitch of the roof, than about a 12 foot run to the roof peak and out.  does this sound like it will be good? I really dont wanna cut into My garage. Id like to utilize the opening thats already there.

thanks, Kane