want to learn how to make some sausage

Started by sparky1, August 14, 2011, 12:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky1

one time when i was in my 20's (along time ago) my roommate mike and i ground up 3 different types of meat w/ spice and stuffed our own sausages.  getting them filled just right was the key.  we had a party that night and cooked the sausage on a weber.  so, i would like to learn to make my own fresh sausage.  i just want grind my own and stuff my own fresh sausage just to throw on my grill and good.  can y'all give me 3 good grinders and stuffers that i could choice from.  something easy to use.  oh, and 1 good book to get me started.  ty.   8)
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

Sailor

Quote from: sparky1 on August 14, 2011, 12:23:44 PM
one time when i was in my 20's (along time ago) my roommate mike and i ground up 3 different types of meat w/ spice and stuffed our own sausages.  getting them filled just right was the key.  we had a party that night and cooked the sausage on a weber.  so, i would like to learn to make my own fresh sausage.  i just want grind my own and stuff my own fresh sausage just to throw on my grill and good.  can y'all give me 3 good grinders and stuffers that i could choice from.  something easy to use.  oh, and 1 good book to get me started.  ty.   8)

You just gotta get "Great Sausage Making Recipes" by Rytek Kutas.  That is a must have book.

As for a stuffer, if I had it all to do over again I would get the Kirby Cannon that is built by our very on Pikeman.  I have a 5lb stuffer that I bought from Northern Tool.  It is a good little stuffer but has plastic gears.  I think I paid under $70 for it.  LEM has the same stuffer but has metal gears and lots of guys here have that stuffer.  Once you get going with sausage making you will be wanting the Kirby Cannon.  I don't have one yet but I will be getting one.

As for the grinder.  I have a #12 I got from northern tool.  That little beast grinds meat like a champ.  I paid less than $100 for it but don't remember how much i paid.  Lots of guys here have the Cabelas grinder.  I think the most important thing is to have a good grinder and a good stuffer.  Try to stay away from using a grinder as a stuffer.  You can do it but you will wear yourself out.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Keymaster

I would use this link thanks to STC before buying a book- http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22024.0
Then if you decide you like sausage making Get the "Great sausage Recipes and meat curing"  by Rytec Kutas. Or just watch for Nepasmokers secret receipts once a week.
I purchased the Heavy duty Grinder from cabelas in white but looks like they only sell black now. My grinder was under $100 on sale and suits my needs fine as I never do more than 10# batches and more than not I buy ground beef 80/20. I use the Lem 5# stuffer that you can get at Lemproducts.com. It works great for my small batches.
Maybe try a Kit first that comes with all the spices and casings to make sausage and progress from there. Thats what I did.
Hope that helps a little.

GusRobin

Here is a link to a tutorial.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19878.msg0;topicseen#new

As stated, I would definitely get the Rytek book as it has a lot of helpful info.

I would also get a separate grinder and stuffer.

Kirby's stuffers are water powered.
Kirby also makes and sells a great mixer that you power with your drill.

take the plunge, you'll like it and as always the folks on the forum are always eager to help.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smokin Soon

My grinder and stuffer both came from Northern Tool and have served me well. Ditto on the Rytek book. Also take a peek here:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm.

Like others, I also started with the kits.

SamuelG

The Great KC

Mixer

Hope this helps.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

NePaSmoKer

spark

The kirby water stuffer is top shelf as with the bucket mixer.

If your just starting out like the other have said norther tool and grizzly have some inexpensive 5lb stuffer but they have nylon gears which can break (been there done that) The LEM 5 lb has metal gears and well worth the extra $100.

As a grinder ya just cant beat the Cabelas line. If it breaks down they give ya a new one. LEM has nice grinders to.

Do you have a Bass Pro in your area? They sell LEM items.

And the Rytek book is good for beginners but read it cuz there are many conflicting areas.

classicrockgriller

sparky, if you start making sausage, you will nevvvvvveeerrrrrr

be able to get enough. Don't do it!

Hawg Dang, The sausage Pusher Man. (stay away from Nepas's Post) ;D

SamuelG

Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 14, 2011, 06:25:20 PM
sparky, if you start making sausage, you will nevvvvvveeerrrrrr

be able to get enough. Don't do it!

Hawg Dang, The sausage Pusher Man. (stay away from Nepas's Post) ;D

X2.  It will never be the same!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

classicrockgriller

viper125

All good advice. But you might consider not stuffing at first and using preground meat. No or little investment that way.You can buy pork or hamburger ground mix together with spices and make like a hamburger patty. This way you can see if you like it or not. Use the susan minor recipes that come from this site and are tried and true tested. You can get a grinder and stuffer later. Just an idea, in case your not positive how deep you want to get into it. But warning!!! it is addictive.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Bigbirdoffroad

As Sailor said "You just gotta get "Great Sausage Making Recipes" by Rytek Kutas.  That is a must have book."

I can't believe all the stuff I learned from reading it. You should buy this book before you get any equipment so you can get an idea if the sausage making thing is for you. Good Luck!!

I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

squirtthecat

Sparky, I'll tell ya what...

I'll mail you my copy of Rytek's book.   I've barely cracked it open since I got it, and I won't have any time for sausage until the grass stops growing at my house.

Read through it and see what you think.

NePaSmoKer

BOOKS

BOOKS

We dont need no stinkin BOOKS :o

Sailor

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 15, 2011, 10:43:35 AM
BOOKS

BOOKS

We dont need no stinkin BOOKS :o
Now that is a true statement as long as we have you.  But if you would happen to ......please forgive me......lose your internet service we would be lost and have to revert to books.   ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.