First try at lobster and tuna

Started by TMB, February 24, 2010, 06:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

For my birthday I wanted to cook something different and went for lobster and Ahi tuna. Now I have never cooked either one so I was unsure on how to go about it.  So I went and read a few articles on the subject and went for it.  I know the the picture is really not that great but the food really did turn out wonderful.
I didn't split the lobster tail because I wanted to save as much of the natural juice as I could to add flavor. The tuna was great with sesame seed crust. 

Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

squirtthecat

Looks good from over here!

What did you put on the ahi tuna steak?

[edit]

Duh - I didn't read all of your post - I just zeroed in on the picture!

Tenpoint5

I wouldn't have any problems eating that!! Looks pretty good even at 9 am
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Looks good to me.

I so gotta try one of those tuna steaks.

Glad to see I aint the only one who cooks there own birthday dinner.

Tenpoint5

Squirt,
Tommy was editing and adding that information while we was posting ours
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Looks great TMB and as 10.5 said - looks good enough for breakfast.  Tuna on the smoker is good eats.  It's fun experimenting with different marinades and compound butters.  Never done lobster - not a big fan for the $$$$ around here.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

azamuner73

TMB

Thanks guys.  Now they were high $$$$$  17.95 for 2 of them, but hey I turned 44 in this time not in the hospital (I spent my 40th and 41st birthdays in the hopital) so I figured why not!  ;D   The tuna was very good but the wife is hooked on LOBSTER! We will cook it again this weekend on my SRG.  I'll post this cook next week. 

Thanks again for the good comments, makes me feel better about my cooking.

Peace, 

classicrockgriller

Just another of your great cooks Tommy.

Nice job man!

seemore

A winning combination for a birthday feast!
Mrs

TMB

The wife keeps telling me I need to eat more fish so I hope to post more cooks like this one.  I wonder if you can grill craw-fish?  ???

seemore

Good question.  People who would know would be Kynola, Ronbeaux, Nepas, CRG,,,,to name a few.

unclefish

LOOKS GOOD HOW LONG DID YOU SMOKE THE TUNA FOR THANKS UNCLEFISH

TMB

Quote from: unclefish on February 24, 2010, 02:59:21 PM
LOOKS GOOD HOW LONG DID YOU SMOKE THE TUNA FOR THANKS UNCLEFISH
The tuna went 2 mins per side on direct heat then moved to a cooler spot to rest (sear and hold method) the lobster took about 15 mins on low heat to start then I placed them in direct heat to finish. I wanted the meat to be juicy as possible and since I didn't remove the shell and this being my first try I figured this would be a good approach.  CB tells me he removes the shell then cooks the meat but Kim (my wife) really loved the flavor of the lobster (in the shell) so I may just stay with this method. Ya' know keep momma happy and the world is a better place!  ;) 

I have lobster planed for this weekend again so I should have more to post thi weekend.

Peace, 

azamuner73

Until recently all the shrimp I ever bought were pre-cooked and usually had the shell off.  Then I grabbed a back of raw shell-on zipperbacks and let's just say I will never buy pre-cooked again.  The flavor difference is night and day and way more moist.

I am assuming it would be the same with lobster....keeping it in the shell probably tastes better than if you took it out.  Depending on which texture you prefer.