pork spareribs

Started by joerom, September 11, 2009, 08:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joerom

Hello,this may sound dumb,but I just bought a very large pork sparerib(8 1/2 lb).It is big and thick,and I have not made anything like this before.Do I just put in the whole thing or trim it.It is smithfield brand and is in a sealed package,but does not look like the ribs I bought before.They had a lot of these at $1.88 a pound.
                                                 Joe.

Tenpoint5

Not seeing a picture of it I would say cut it in half to fit your racks and smoke away using one of the many tutorials on the forum and recipe site.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Hey Joe,
Any chance there are two racks in the package rather than one?  If not, that's a big rack but it is certainly possible as last week I bought Smithfield brand baby rack ribs and each rack weighed in at over 4 pounds.  Smithfield apparently grows some big pigs!

KyNola   

joerom

Hello,here is the pics of it.It is one big one,but it seems they left a lot of extra on it.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: joerom on September 11, 2009, 12:32:23 PM
Hello,here is the pics of it.It is one big one,but it seems they left a lot of extra on it.

You sure there are no more in there, I bought some on sale also in a pack like that and what looked to be 2 where actually 3 in there. just wondering.
Mike

KyNola

From the photo, looks like two in there to me but I could be horrible mistaken.

Cut that pack up and go to prepping whatever is in there!  :)

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

It looks like you have 2 or 3 racks in that package. I generally trim them, and cut the last three ribs off the small end so that they will fit on the racks, and put the smaller piece on a separate rack.

Here's a good site to learn how to trim them Rib Preparation. Most use the St. Louis style trim, but now I just trim the skirt meat, and square up the end of the ribs. Don't forget to remove the membrane.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

joerom

Hello all,

I opened the pack and there were two of them in there(Doh!).Well,let me step in right here and say I am an idiot.This way you don't have to.And thanks to Habanero Smoker for the site on trimming St.Louis style ribs.I was almost doing it right before,now I really know how.

Joe.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: joerom on September 11, 2009, 02:53:47 PM
Hello all,

I opened the pack and there were two of them in there(Doh!).Well,let me step in right here and say I am an idiot.This way you don't have to.And thanks to Habanero Smoker for the site on trimming St.Louis style ribs.I was almost doing it right before,now I really know how.

Joe.
Agreeeeeee. I myself found that link totally helpfull on preparing ribzzzz. I had a couple of racks that looked just like the ones there and could not for the life of me figure out how to get that dam breast bone out that neatly. I did cut out the skirt and the small ends and fat pockets. Thanks again for the link Habs.
Mike