Memorial Day Smoke

Started by Consooger, May 29, 2012, 11:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

Worked basically all weekend and had planned on doing 2 turkey breasts for the in-laws Memorial Day feast. Sure they supplies me with the breast so I said why not! SO i woken up Sunday afternoon (I work nights) to my soon to be father in law saying so how do you feel about doing a brisket or a pork butt for tomorrow as well, I say "that's gonna be tough because everything is in the chest freezer and I will never get it thawed in time" You would think I broke his heart because the sound of defeat in his voice was unbelievable. SO I got off the phone with him and thought about this. I figured I could go to the store buy a nice sized butt rub it down and not let it sit but immediately put it in and smoke and cook while I was at work Monday morning, and that's EXACTLY what I did.

The players:
9 # pork butt rubbed with Shiggs in Pit BBQ rub and then a layer of molasses and another layer of Shiggs in Pit heavier this time for extra bite to the bark. 4.25 hours of smoke 3 hours of hickory and 80 mins of cherry. I had the Bradley up to 320 since there was wind and rain all night and the maverick wouldn't read above 240. I kept the butt in the box until I came home and then transferred the butt into the oven while I smoked the 2 turkey breasts.

The Players:
1 6 # and 1 7 # turkey breasts slatherd in Jan's rub Pretty simple and straight forward. 2 hours of Apple smoke and had the temp set for 280. I kept these in the box until the butt was done in the oven FTC'd that and transferred the birds into the oven and set the temp to 350 because I wanted to crisp the skin so here we are.

The birds

After some Jan's rub

After pulling from the oven (IT reading 168) now some foil time

ONTO THE PIG

All slathered and lathered

After the smoke and 17 hours in the Bradley (before the transfer into the oven)

Now into the oven until IT reached 190 (at this point it was reading 171, it took 3 hours to get it to 190)

After reaching IT 190 and before some FTC lovin'

one more..

And that's all she wrote folks. Sorry I didn't get to take any picks of the pork pulled of the turkey sliced but I was getting yelled at because I took my phone out to take pics and all I heard was cut the turkey, feed us now so yeah......I created a monster because EVERYONE is asking for more.

As BBQ sauces and dipping sauces I used Bulldog's BBQ, the Grapette sauce and a new Blueberry BBQ sauce I made. All which were a hit.

***NOTE when I came home my fiance asked me to make her some chicken breast for her salad for lunch for the following day, why not I've only been going 30 + hours. When I asked her how she wanted it she said "Oooooh oooooh put some of that lady's rub on it that I like!" I said Jan's rub from my site I go on, she said "yeah that one that stuff is SOOOOO GOOD!" I replied, oh yes I know it and many many many others do too!!!!! Just thought that was a nice end to the night  ;D

- Sugar

"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Keymaster

Nice Memorial Dinner, gotta keep those inlaws happy :)

squirtthecat

mikecorn.1

Absolutely killed it. Nice color on both. The bark looks amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

watchdog56

Good looking food there :P

ghost9mm

Sure looks like you ate real well over the weekend, great job...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

Great job! Way to impress the future in-laws ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

KyNola

Great cook Consooger!  You did a great job of making everything work out, especially when you got thrown a variable at the last minute.

I'll tell "the lady" who made the Rub how much you guys like it! ;)  Thanks for the compliments.  Jan and I appreciate it.

Consooger

Quote from: KyNola on May 30, 2012, 07:01:57 AM
Great cook Consooger!  You did a great job of making everything work out, especially when you got thrown a variable at the last minute.

I'll tell "the lady" who made the Rub how much you guys like it! ;)  Thanks for the compliments.  Jan and I appreciate it.

Honestly wasn't sure how that butt would work out with not letting it sit for a while all lathered up, came out great I must say.

Next butt is the molasses and salt lick rub for my brother in a few weeks, I LOVE heat so I'm excited about this next one!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife