What is your favorite thing to smoke?

Started by Rad Rich, February 16, 2011, 11:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

bears fan

wings, bacon wrapped chicken, canadian bacon, and hard boiled eggs.

Rad Rich

I think some of you guys are speaking in code and I like it.  That big fatty looked pretty good. I have been having such good results with my obs. I have a local butcher shop with the best dry rub. I use it on everything. Would like to smoke some cheese but I noticed that nobody mentioned cheese as a favorite. One guy mentioned almonds, that sounds great. I have a few venison tenderloins in the freezer and would really like some advise on what a favorite way to smoke them would be.
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

DTAggie

I'm with CRG and Test Rocket.  I just love me some BUTT.  Funny thing, I had never ordered pulled pork at a BBQ joint.  Always brisket and sausage.  Now I cannot get enough juicy butt!

OU812

Quote from: Rad Rich on February 16, 2011, 07:43:33 PM
I have a few venison tenderloins in the freezer and would really like some advise on what a favorite way to smoke them would be.

Are they "tenderloins" from the inside. or "loins" from the back?

If they are loins I like to slice them open like a hoagie bun but not all the way to the ends.

Lay them open and stuff with some cheese, onion, green pepper, shrooms and what ever trips my trigger.

Then squeeze shut and wrap in bacon making sure the seam of the loin is up and the seam of the bacon weave is down.

Throw in the smoker set at 220 F and smoke it with 2 or 3 hr Pecan and pull it out when the IT hits 135 F then slap on a hot grill, watch for flame ups, and roll on each side to slightly crisp up the bacon.

Keep an eye on it so the cheese dont run away from ya, I start with the seam of the loin down first then roll over to keep the cheese in check.

I shoot for a finish IT of 140 F then remove from the grill and let rest, the IT will rise to about 145 F.

Slice and serve,

Rad Rich

Man does that sound good.  Im not sure where they are from, a friend gave them to me.  Will try that this weekend.  Thanks for the advise.

kinyo

I really likes chicken drumsticks & pork butts.

thirtydaZe

i don't know that it's my favorite thing to smoke, but what i smoke the most of is poultry.

try to keep the diet somewhat healthy and save my calories for the budweiser.

the thing i'd most like to perfect would be ribs.

i've had great success with brisket, brawts, and roast.

anyhow, smoking is fun.  it's a great way to spend an entire day.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Quarlow

Oo oo oo I forgot. Habs Canadian Back Bacon. It is easy to make but takes a week and it is so awesome.
And though I have only done one batch of cheese which wasn't smokey enough I still loved it and for what it takes to make a cardboard box cold smoker it is definitely worth the effort, you just need to try it and see what your likes are.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Rad Rich

Interesting all the favorites.  Thanks for the advise on the venison, gonna try it with cheese and veggies. After reading all the posts sounds like we have a bunch of butt men on this forum.  Im gonna try my first butt this weekend. No difference in but or shoulder right? Can't wait love pulled pork.  There was a great post up a little earlier. With a link to picks for smoking butt.  That vinegar mop sounds good.  How long with the smoke do you think for the butt. Will be using hickory. Thinking about four hours of smoke then let it cook.  Is that enough smoke?

OU812

4 hr of Hickory would be just right for me.

KyNola

Yep, 4 hours of hickory for this west Kentucky guy.

MidKnightRider

New to the smokeing game but so far:
Bacon 5 times
Pork Butts 1 time
cheese 4 times
jerky 3 times
salt 1 time
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

beefmann

tri tip, sirloin tip, brisket, sausages, meat loaf, pork shoulders, pork butt

Quarlow

The only thing we seem to get here is boneless shoulder blade roasts. This is perfectly acceptable.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.