anybody make dried beef cold cuts?

Started by tinger82, October 06, 2009, 06:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinger82

I would like to make my own instead of paying 10 bucks a pound at the store

3rensho

I've made this a number of times and it is great -

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/bresaola.pdf.  I've posted pix of my efforts somewhere on this forum but can't remember where at the moment.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Caneyscud

Was just reminded of how much I liked dried beef last week.  Had some peppered dried beef at Granzin's in New Braunfels.   Pretty good stuff - I could live off it!  Got home and spent quite some time researching a recipe, but never did find one that seemed to match.  Found some interesting ones, but unfortunately, I did not save the addresses - all I did was print the ones that looked good.  I will try to rescue them from home and type a couple up for you.  The stuff at Granzin's is not bresaola or Swiss bundnerfleisch or Pastirma  - more like tasajo.

Here is a link to a guy making Capicola - similar but not the same.  Interesting technique also.  When the temp falls around here I'm going to make it.  He starts is on this page of his blog, and you can follow through the process on several pages of the blog. 
http://davescupboard.blogspot.com/2009/01/its-capicola-time.html

Here is one link I did find that was interesting, but not exactly like I wanted.
http://stores.homestead.com/TCurley/images/store_version2/Dried%20Beef.PDF

Did find this "recipe' in my bookmarks

Dried Beef. Top round, bottom round, and sirloin tip (knuckles) are commonly used to prepare dried beef. Dried beef is similar to corned beef except (1) dried beef is made from the muscles of the round, whereas corned beef usually is made from the brisket; (2) the dried beef curing mixture contains an extra 1/10 lb sugar but not the baking soda, garlic, cloves, etc.; and (3) dried beef, unlike corned beef, is hung to dry for 24 hours and then given a light or heavy smoke in the smokehouse.

Dried beef may be prepared using a straight dry cure using the same salt, sugar, sodium nitrate, and sodium nitrite combination described in the corned beef section. When dry curing dried beef, apply 1 to 1-1/2 oz of the dry cure to each pound of meat. Approximately two rubbings at three to five day intervals are necessary. Check the curing vessel daily and if self-formed brine accumulates in the curing vessel, remove this excess brine because pieces resting in this brine will become salty.

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DTJ

Caneyscud,
the receipe your wrote sounds good but is the cure you refer to MTQ?  Other wise if that is cure #1 or #2 that seems like a lot of cure.
Just curious this has been on my list of things to make and have not gotten around to it yyet.

Thanks

Daryl

Caneyscud

DTJ
I have no idea - just found it on the 'net and this was all the info it had.  But here is a corned beef recipe from Morton's tender quick site that I have previously used to make corned beef.  Just don't add the spices.  Then finish as the other recipe

Here is a dry cure for beef also using MTQ

DRY CURING - CORNING BEEF
INGREDIENTS
COMBINE

1/4 c Morton Tender Quick
2 tb Brown sugar; packed
5 Cloves garlic; minced
1 ts Ground black pepper
1 ts Ground ginger
1/2 ts Ground cloves
1/4 ts Ground nutmeg
1/8 ts Cayenne pepper
RUB ON

1 4-lb brisket

PREPARATION
Dry Curing - Corning beef using a dry cure is a lot like rubbing a Texas Brisket before smoking. It really infuses the meat with flavor while it cures. This is one intensely-flavored corned beef. It reminds you more of Pastrami then corned beef. (Pastrami is brisket thats been dry-cured, smoked, then cooked). But dry curing makes is slightly drier and a touch saltier than brine-cured. Curing Time: 48-72 Hours Hope this might give you some ideas to play with.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tiny Tim

I've made some Dried Beef using "Brown Sugar Cure" from curleyssausagekitchen.com (instructions also available there).  I'll be doing it again, but I have to find a leaner cut than the last one I did.  That's one thing you don't want a marbled piece of meat for.