VENISON SAUSAGE ??

Started by BIG T, June 23, 2005, 02:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG T

What would be a good temp & time for some deer sausage?
Should I allow the sausage to be cooked throughout or just let the sausage pick up the smoke flavor & finish it off w/ some other cooking method?
BTW...it is just stuffed w/ regular sausage seasoning! Any good suggestions will be valuable...thanks [^]

BIG T

PS Any good ideas on some taters & corn??

Grillin and Chillin

Well I don't have any answers to you question. But I do have questions for you.

My huntin' buddy, his dad, my son and I process all of our deer. I think we do a real good job of gettin' the critter cooled and processed as quickly as possible. I think this makes the taste better. We de-bone all of the meat ourselves and get various cuts of meats (steaks, roast, etc.) Typically we cut the steak meat into indivual portions, make our own marinade and use a food saver to store the steaks until time to grill. We also save some larger cuts for roast or to smoke a roast.

However, we have never made any sausage or jerky. What cuts of meat do you use? Where do you get your spices? What kind of recipe do you use?

At one time there was a local processor to whom we would take our de-boned meat and he would make sausage and jerky but he is no longer in business. So we really miss the stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, it seems your a hunter, ever smoked a wild turkey?

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BIG T

G&C...I use <u>Leggs Old Plantation Sausage seasoning </u>(breakfast) for my deer sausage. It is awsome! You can get it plain or hot! I have just recently found a website (www.eldonsausage.com)that deals in a# of these particlar seasonings & it looks like I will be ordering some of it soon.

As far as jerky. I like to use ground meat in a jerky gun. This tends to be far less chewy & hard as the meat(loin or ham) that is cut in this strips & marinated. The web site above sells the jerky gun & it comes w/ some seasonings to get you started ! You also can do meat sticks (slim jims) w/a different nozzle. The only drawback to the jerky gun is the MESS that I tend to make, but usually worth it. Tend to eat it up Fast.
Sorry but I have never done a wild turkey but have had it once deep fried & it was awesome!

Grillin and Chillin

Thanks Big T for the valuable info. I will be checking out the places you are talking about.

So, I take it you have your own grider to grind the venison. I guess I'll need me one of those

I too, have deep fried turkey but wanted to smoke one. Guess I'll have to "wing it" on my own.

Phone Guy

I have made many types of sausage and I believe 160 isn't to high. It sounds like you made fresh sausage not cured.

jaeger

Grillin and Chillin,
If you have a Bradley you should be making your own sausage. I have had good luck with venison jerky, sticks, summer sausage and link bratwust type sausage. I freeze packages of venison specifcally for grinding. When you do grind, have the meat still partially frozen. It will grind much better. Add the pork as suggested with Bassman's recipe. You will also find kits on the market that include casing that you will need. High Mountain seasoning and Eastman Outdoor's are two popular brands that offer kits.
If you make a link type or ring sausage, I would recommend laying the rings or links out on racks and rotating top to bottom, front to back at least once during smoke/cook. Below are a couple pictures. One is summer sausage, turned out great! The second is of links. They were not rotated and next time will be cooked on racks with rotation included in process.

High Mountain makes a brine for poultry. I would give it a try. Domestic smoked turkey is AWESOME!!!! Maybe add a little more water than recommended until you have made it once or twice. If it is to salty it is hard to be happy with.[;)]

Here is a picture of the venison summer sausage:

Here is a picture of the link sausage:  

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Crazy Canuck

Big T

In regards to your venison sausage. Temp of smoker should not exceed 160 F. Internal temp of 154 F. If you heat smoker above 160 F you will render any fat in the sausage and lose alot of flavor. The amount and type of smoke used are your own personal preference. Try using a litlle cure in your sausage mix for additional flavoring and color.

Addicted to Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR
Fort St. John, BC

Bassman

Hi all,
The internal temp technically only needs to reach 152F. I don't like to go over that too much so it doesn't dry out. A wealth of info on any kind of sausage is in the sausage book by Rytek Kutas.

enjoy[:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Parson Snows

These are the latest figures from the FSIS/USDA

<b>USDA Recommended Internal Temperatures</b>
•   Steaks & Roasts - 145 F
•   Fish - 145 F
•   Pork - 160 F
•   Ground Beef - 160 F
•   Egg Dishes - 160 F
•   Chicken Breasts - 170 F
•   Whole Chicken - 180 F

July 2005

I hope that this information is of some use to you

kind regards

Parson Snows

Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen

Oldman

Greetings Parson Snows and welcome to the forums....

Now as to temps go...

You can 86 the one for beef steak... 140 F maximum for me [:D]

For that matter Chicken breast 160F [^]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Crazy Canuck</i>
<br />Big T

In regards to your venison sausage. Temp of smoker should not exceed 160 F. Internal temp of 154 F. If you heat smoker above 160 F you will render any fat in the sausage and lose alot of flavor. The amount and type of smoke used are your own personal preference. Try using a litlle cure in your sausage mix for additional flavoring and color.

Addicted to Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR
Fort St. John, BC
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Crazy and Bassman are right on with the 152 temp (154 same thing) however, I smoke sausage at 180 with the idea of not rendering out the fat.  There is some fat/moisture that get outside the casing, but I have smoked that 180 and not run into trouble, leaving the fat in the sausage.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Parson Snows</i>
<br />These are the latest figures from the FSIS/USDA

<b>USDA Recommended Internal Temperatures</b>

•   Chicken Breasts - 170 F
•   Whole Chicken - 180 F

July 2005

I hope that this information is of some use to you

kind regards

Parson Snows

Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Safe internal temperatures for whole turkey and chicken is 165 F measured at the thickest part of the thigh. Most restaurants now use 150-155 F for breast meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)