Black meat surface

Started by govols, January 18, 2006, 06:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govols

Hi,
    I smoked my first item on my bradley last weekend.  It was a 6.5 pound pork butt with bone.  I followed the recipe on the bradley site.  It was delicious.  However, the outer surface of the butt was black.  It tasted good but my picky kids wouldn't touch it unless I pulled off all the black part.  I used hickory biscuits for a full 8 hours.  I kept the temp between around 240°. How do I prevent the black surface?  Is it normal to have a black surface?  Thanks in advance.

IKnowWood

That black surface (black = more like real dark red + brown) is the product of smoking the rub and slow addition of smoke material on the surface.  The inside of the bradely will also slowly get darker and darker amber colored to the poitn it will look black.  Its just part of the process.

With a rub on, most of what you smoke will be darker colored.  Many other items will take more amber, depending on length of smoke and rub.

We call it "bark" or the crusty outer flavor covering that tastes great mixed with the food.

Now as far as your results.  Was it dry?  smoking at 240 is a bit high temp.  How long did it take? and it was not to smoky at 8 hours, most of us do 4 to 5 hours normally.  That extra smoke would lead to a darker bark for sure.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Arcs_n_Sparks

Agree with IKW; 8 hours of smoke sounds like too much.

Arcs_n_Sparks

nodak

MMMMMMMMMM, Send that bark this way.  That's the advantage of being the cook is picking at this most tasty part, unless 8 hours of smoke did torture on it.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

govols

The meat was not dry but was moist and delicious.  Should I smoke for a shorter time and finish up with heat only?  I'm planning on doing a pork loin next with apple biscuits.

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Should I smoke for a shorter time and finish up with heat only? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think you will find that most people only smoke for around 4, perhaps 5 hours maximum in most instances and carry on with heat only for the remaining time.

In my view there is not a lot of benefit to be gained by smoking for longer on a BS other than burning extra £/$ by way of using more pucks!

Manxman.
Manxman

govols

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Should I smoke for a shorter time and finish up with heat only? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think you will find that most people only smoke for around 4, perhaps 5 hours maximum in most instances and carry on with heat only for the remaining time.

In my view there is not a lot of benefit to be gained by smoking for longer on a BS other than burning extra £/$ by way of using more pucks!

Manxman.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks!  I appreciate everyone's help and information.  [:)]

jaeger

govols,
Welcome to the forum. I think you will find apple to be a great wood to use on your porkloin.
I usually just cook the loins at 190 - 200 degrees with about 3 hours of smoke. I also leave the generator element on until completion.
The porkloins I have made usually take about 4+ hours.
Let us know how it turns out!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">