Just finished smoking some lox

Started by HCT, January 28, 2008, 04:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

I used Spyguys recipe pretty much to a tee. I smoked them for 2hrs. 40 min. Couldn't wait any longer. ;D
I used half alaskan sockeye and atlantic farm raised. Here is the difference. The sockeye is a beautiful semi-deep red. Great texture and held the smoke well. The farm raised is off orange, not as good texture but also held the smoke well. Don't get me wrong the farm raised is terrific and I have no complaints but maybe it's a mental thing that the sockeye is wild and alaskan that makes me favor it more. I think the beautiful red makes it more eye appealing also.  But hey, look in the supermarkets and all you'll see is the orange colored lox. Soooo, mission accomplished and I'm very happy with this smoke. Will do it again.
Mike
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

tsquared

Sounds good Mike. How does it taste? Have you run out and bought the fresh bagels to go with it yet?
T2

La Quinta

Hey now T2...he's gotta wait...(not a big farm raised fan myself either HCT) when I did my "wild"...it was like ruby red when it came out...you are gonna love it!!! Tell us how it tastes...very kool!!! :)