Cold Smoking a Turkey with BS CS Adapter - Temp Question

Started by FlashOfBlue, November 20, 2009, 01:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlashOfBlue

Going to cold smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving before deep frying.  I want to smoke it in the evening for about 4 hrs while it is cool outside....refrigerate...then deep fry in the morning. 

I have a new BS Cold Smoke adapter.  I can find a safe maximum temp (usually 80-90) to reach in the smoke box.  Is there a minimum temp I should avoid?

Also, If I keep below 90F for 4 hrs, is that safe?  Wouldn't want to kill anyone with my first bird.

Habanero Smoker

If it is not cured, four hours is too long of a time to cold smoke a turkey; plus 90°F is almost an optimal temperature for bad bacteria to grow. If it is brined and/or seasoned the salt will provide extra protection and the smoke has antimicrobial properties, but if you are serving it to several guest I would not go longer then 2 hours in the smoker, moving the turkey directly form the refrigerator to the smoker, then directly from the smoker to a preheated oven. The reason for this is that the temperature in the refrigerator will only slow the growth of bacteria, not stop it. Also two hours of smoke is plenty for poultry.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

80-90 is safe for cheese but not meat. I think the temp range to avoid with meat is 40 F - 140 F. either stay below 40 or above 140, IMHO.

FlashOfBlue

I am brining, but not curing.  Thanks.  That could have been disastrous.

FlashOfBlue

But now I am confused...

This is where I got the 90 degrees...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8505.0

What am I missing?

Is the problem moving it to the fridge after smoking?  I am new to all of this, so be gentle.  Is the best plan to brine overnight, smoke for 2 hrs....then straight to the fryer using normal 3.5 mins per lb?

Hopefull Romantic

FOB there is no low temp to void. I think you should avoid the high temps where bactiria could grow. Depending on your ambient temp, you probably can smoke for up to  2 - 3 hours and the just go on to the next step; being deep fry, oven or grill.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Ka Honu

Flash - I think you'll find that once you start cooking poultry, you should finish it before storing it by any method.  You might get away with an "interrupted" cook, but you might not.  Best to be on the safe side here (unless, of course, you have some guests you really don't like).

Bucky

I am a newbie to the forum.  However, not new to cold smoking or making fermented sausage.  Stanley Marianski is the best at both.  If you want to cold smoke a bird, Cure #1 is the most important thing.  Depending on the bird weight, it could take up to 4 or 5 days to cure.  Believe me, the taste is unbelievable but you need to work a week to get the results.  Cure plus one day to dry then the cold smoke.  Here's a helpful link.  http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smoking-poultry.htm
"If you drink - don't drive.... Don't even putt"
Dean Martin 1917-1995

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FlashOfBlue on November 20, 2009, 02:30:14 PM
But now I am confused...

This is where I got the 90 degrees...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8505.0

What am I missing?

Is the problem moving it to the fridge after smoking?  I am new to all of this, so be gentle.  Is the best plan to brine overnight, smoke for 2 hrs....then straight to the fryer using normal 3.5 mins per lb?

That would be the best plan, or to hot smoke for that period of time and straight into the fryer. Hot smoking will also save you the hassle of setting up to cold smoke. Your not missing anything, he started a new post. Go to his profile and click on "Show last post". He cold smoked for 3 hours, and the method he was going to use I felt 3 hours would be within range, which I feel is safe. But not knowing how the turkey is being handle prior to it being placed in the smoker I should have also cautioned him to stay within 2 hours. Two hours is a much safer range especially if you are serving it to your family, and you may find that two hours is all you need when you are using the Bradley to apply the smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)