Smoked Deep Fried Turkey, Mission accomplished.

Started by Jax Fl Johnny, December 07, 2008, 10:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jax Fl Johnny

Well I did it and it came out wonderful. The OBS makes me look like an old pro. I brined my turkey (12.39 lbs) with  rosemary, thyme, sage, peppercorns and smashed fresh garlic and some garlic powder.  Next time I'm gonna add some cayanne pepper or maybe a habanero. I followed the norm for the actual brine liquid. Brining time was 15hrs. (Based off of Alton Browns Recipe From the Food Network) I then Cold smoked it with Apple Bisquettes. I did use the ice in bottom method (it was a warm day here in Jacksonville on Nov. 30th.) Kept it below 90 degrees (tough job). Then Deep fried it as normal. Great flavor, juicy. Skin and fat tasted like bacon.
  After the turkey was cooked I deep fried 3 chickens and they had a hint of smoke to them, an extra bonus flavor.  :D

Next Time Smoked Duck!

See Ya,

Jax Johnny
Johnny C

Habanero Smoker

Jax Johnny;

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear about your success. The turkey sounds delicious.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Brew

I'm new to all of this...what does the ice in the bottom do? just keep the temp down?  I plan on using the smoker unit in a box attached to a hose running up to the unit where i'm planning on having the bird.  The outside temp this weekend is only supposed to be in the mid 30's so I should be able to obtain a "cold" smoke.  will this be sufficient?  What temp should the "cold" smoke be in the unit?  I can't imagine it will be very high.  thanks for all the input

Habanero Smoker

The ice does keep the temperature down, and with the ambient temperature being in the 30's, then a bowl of ice will be sufficient.

Depending on the source you read cold smoking can be keeping the temperature below 70°F, or 80°F, or 90°F or 100°F (I've even seen 110°F). I prefer to use 80°F as a guideline. There are also sources that state if it is too cold the penetration of smoke is diminished, but I can't find any reference to temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Jax Fl Johnny!

Another Floridian. sweet. it looks like you are on the right track. smoke flavored oil. Nice.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!