Guide for 900w or 500w Element Install

Started by mr5150, August 25, 2011, 12:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr5150

Hello All,

Is there a step by step guide on how to install a 900w or 500w element into a Bradley digital smoker?
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker
Napoleon Prestige II Gourmet Grill

classicrockgriller

There is a guide on the recipe site for the 500 watt install.

recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

this is a direct link

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?27-Bradley-Accessories-User-Modifications

beefmann

and here is the 900 watt install with a blower

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.0

and a timer - pid for heat control, the timer switches between the smoking process due to the blower removing to much heat off of the bisquette burner

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17304.0

if you have any questions  please ask

porterdriver

ClassicG,

Did you have any problems with element burnout after you installed the second 500w element?  I just lost another element (and of course your don't realize it until you the unit loaded with food); second in a year.  Seems as if the rear element position (original location) is the more vulnerable.  I followed the instructions to the letter, no deviations.

Has anyone found a single 1000k element that is compatible with the Bradley's mounts?  Changing alternative elements out is a pain, a single element that would easily mount into the existing bracket would be nice.  Beef's setup is nice but I don't want to have to open up my own sheet metal shop for this mod; no offense Beef, I'm just not that handy.

classicrockgriller

I finally changed a front element out the other day, but

I have probably smoke a ton of meat in mine.

It was not dead, it just didn't seem to be as hot.

I changed it anyway and saved it.

devo

QuoteHas anyone found a single 1000k element that is compatible with the Bradley's mounts?

When I was having problems with elements burning out(three) I was in contact with a fellow from one of the element places on the web. All of their 500 & 1000 watt elements where to long to just slip into the Bradley holder. He told me they could make one to fit but I would be looking at a 70-100 dollar price tag. The more you order the cheaper they become. Didn't figure the little aggravation the bad elements where giving me was worth that price tag.

Habanero Smoker

PorterDriver;

I've had my dual element setup for over two years, and have not had a problem with either element. Both elements were purchased prior to what seems to be a bad batch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

Quote from: porterdriver on August 28, 2011, 11:07:37 AM

Has anyone found a single 1000k element that is compatible with the Bradley's mounts?  Changing alternative elements out is a pain, a single element that would easily mount into the existing bracket would be nice.  Beef's setup is nice but I don't want to have to open up my own sheet metal shop for this mod; no offense Beef, I'm just not that handy.

I have the same 900W element as Beefman and do not use his fan setup. I ran the element for over 60 hours with no problems before I installed a convection fan. I just had to modify slight with some brackets and extend the existing power wires to fit.

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mishou

the original configuration for a BDS is to have the controller power up and down the heating element based on the temp reached.
I want to install a second element (reaching 250 with one is hard) but is the controller able to handle twice the amps ?

thank you
Mishou

TedEbear

Quote from: mishou on September 15, 2011, 05:54:24 PMI want to install a second element (reaching 250 with one is hard) but is the controller able to handle twice the amps ?

It s not recommended to use the stock temp controller if you're going to upgrade to 1000W.  A DIY PID temp controller from Auber is less than $45.  Even with the SSR, K-type thermocouple and miscellaneous parts to do it the price comes out to be less than 1/2 of the plug-n-play version.