The weekend of chicken

Started by kiyotei, January 20, 2008, 08:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiyotei

It may have been Cloverfield in NY, but it was chicken weekend here in Seattle.  No rain on Friday and Sunday so I broke out the smoker and smoked 2 chickens on Friday night and 2 on Sunday.  I gave one of them to a co-worker who is trying to convice his wife to let him buy one.  I just took pics of the Sunday chickens.  Once again I loosened the skin and rub some spices under the skin, then on top of the skin.  I smoked for about 2 hours with a mix of hickory and maple.  I then put them in the oven for about 2 hours at 300 degrees.  Both chickens were about 4 lbs each.  No brining and once again turned out great.  I put the rub on right before smoking them.  One chicken is in the fridge, one is in the freezer and I'm finishing up the one from Friday night.

Gizmo

Very tasty looking Kiyotei.  Much better than what I had for dinner but then it was delivery as I spent much of the day stuffing and being irritated at the Charger's coach for not IRing the players that couldn't contibute today and brining in people that could.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Nice looking chickens. Do you smoke your chickens breast side down, or do you turn them over at some point?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kiyotei

I was rooting for NE.  I grew up Pgh and we hate SD more than NE.  The first two times I smoked chicken, I put them in breast side up for the entire time.  On Sunday I put them in breast side down for an hour and then rotated breast side up for about an hour.  I'll get back to you about the results.

sherlock

What temp did you use for the 2 hr smoking?

I must try this soon.

kiyotei

I had my smoker temp set to max.  It was in the high 30s yesterday in Seattle.  The internal temp of the smoker according to the analog door thermometer took more than an hour to climb back up to 200.  I know the door is inaccurate but I don't bother with the digital anymore.  I know my door temp is typically 20-40 degrees below temp under the meat.

hillbillysmoker

Great looking results. Congrats on your success.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Ouch...Giz...want me to answer kiyotei on the Charger thing or are you gonna handle it!!!?? :) Anyway...the chickens look awesome!!! Well done!!

Gizmo

Nah, you don't want me goin off about teams or coaches that cheat ....  Never liked NE attitude in the playoffs last year when they refused to come out onto the field when they were announced and waited for them to start announcing the home team.  I believe it was after that game that Brady lost my respect when he made some very unprofessional comments......

I'll give any team their props though.  Even though I don't think the team deserves to be allowed to play due to their conduct over the last few years up to the game they finally got busted on,  there is no doubt the team is most likely the most talented to ever play the game and understandably why they are going to the bowl.  Being a fan of the game, I must continue to root for the home conference and my dislike for Eli and his daddy will help me keep focus on that as well.  Now if the Packers would have won, I would have had to break my loyalty siting my midwest roots and being from a state that has no team to call their own.   
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

I believe that says it all...:)