Returned other brand going to Bradley

Started by Peborg, May 30, 2012, 06:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peborg

I bought another brand and returned it, after further research I believe the Bradley will be my choice.  Anyway, next weekend I am doing 20 pounds of Boston butt - two pieces.  The first question is: What time the night before do I start the meat to have it done by Noon.  Also will hickory work for the smoke?

Wildcat

Welcome aboard. You should probably plan to cook at least 18 hours and possibly 30 hours for 2 butts that size if you do the entire cook in the Bradley. It takes me 18 to 30 for two 7 to 8 pounders cooking at an average of 205 F cabinet temp to an internal meat temp of 190. I recommend planning at least 24 hours. If it is done early you can FTC for 4 or 5 hours.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Peborg

GusRobin

I have had 2 eight pounders at 225 take 20-22 hours. I always make my butts the day before, pull, put in the fridge and warm in a crock pot the day of the event. Takes the stress out of timing. Some times you get a stubborn butt.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Wildcat

Quote from: Peborg on May 30, 2012, 07:36:19 PM
18 to 30??  Realy up to 30 hours?

Yes - sometimes it takes up to that for the second one to get done. Keep in mind that I cook at an average of 205 and with the Bradley you are cooking with a light bulb and minature hot plate. This is also taking the meat temp to 190. Cooking as low as I do, I rarely take it to 190. Sometimes 170 is high enough. You should go by the fork test with butts.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

After the smoke period in the Bradley you can always move the butts to your houe oven where the heat is more even and better controlled.  As WC said earlier, the Bradley is essentially an Easy Bake Oven powered by 5 100 watt lightbulbs once the smoke period is completed.

beefmann

20 lbs  can easily take 20 to 30 hours, depending on the  meat and other  conditions, a rule of thumb is 1 hr to 1.5 hour so plan ahead.

Smoker John

Welcome to the borads, I agree with the others, that will take a while
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Peborg

There going on tomorrow at 3 pm, hopefully ready by noon on saturday

Scotty-G

Welcome aboard.
If you can get them in earlier, might be better

Like wildcat said - If they happen to finish early, you can always FTC them for a few hours - Foil (wrap them in aluminum foil with a splash of apple juice), Towel (wrap that inside of a large towel), Cooler (place into a sealed cooler - without ice) and let sit for a few hrs. Residual heat will help further break down connective tissues inside the butt. You'll be happy with the results.

sjmcdowall

And Hickory is a FINE FINE wood to smoke the butt's with!  Also -- if you haven't read about it before -- do NOT panic when:

1 -- The Bradley is way off temp.  Especially at the beginning when the smoker unit is on ... it will calm down after a few hours and stabilize if you don't open the door.

2 -- Your meat stalls at 150 or so for HOURS ... I mean HOURS and HOURS.  It's called "The Stall" and is well documented.  It could seriously take 10+ hours to get from 150 to 155 to 160.  Once it hits 160+ it resumes a reasonable rate of cooking.   If the stall scares you -- you can "Texas Crutch" the meat to get it beyond the stall faster (about 1/2 the time) .. But it's just as good to just let it (slowly) power through it ... just make sure you have the time. :)

Don't forget to season your new Bradley!! It really is important.  Also don't forget to spray (insert your favorite PAM like spray here) the racks AND the drip pan on both sides for easy cleanup!  Also remove the 2 damn little stickers on the drip pan (it may seem obvious to do so, but not for me and now I have 2 charred pieces of paper that I can't remove). 

Read the forums -- lots of tips on Butt making!

Welcome aboard the journey!!

Peborg

137 and counting, I have until noon tomorrow.  I took the pick quick when I added water..    Basically if they get done by 10:00am it would be great.  12.5 hours from now.