Pid won't hold low temps??

Started by hybridcx, March 10, 2012, 08:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hybridcx

So I have dual prob auberge pid, plug and play. It has never had a problem doing the temps I ask it to by today I was trying to do jerky set it to 160 but it keeps going to 240? I have turned off and reset twice now but it keeps doing the same thing? Any suggestions as to why? Last night it held 220 no problem while doing nuts..

Also the crapy cabinet thermo reads the same as well as the maverick all within a deg or two...

TedEbear

Maybe try an auto tune and see if that brings it back inline.

hybridcx

Never done one before anyone want to give a pointer on how too?

TedEbear

There are several threads on it.  Hers's one:  How do you auto tune a PID?

hybridcx

Thanks I will need to get bricks and the jerky was ready to go, so for this one I took pid out and am running maverick and lever, supper anoying after buyin the plug and play to eliminate having to baby sit smoker... Only 4th use hopefully a auto tune tonight fixes it...

TedEbear

Be sure that the probe for the PID is plugged in tightly and that moisture hasn't gotten in it and caused erratic behavior.  I had that problem with a Maverick probe recently.  To fix it I put the metal part of the probe in the oven at 350*F for several hours. That dried up the moisture inside and all was well.

hybridcx

Yeah I thought maybe a bad probe but it's not even trying to regulate temp it just keeps on going up untill it went 270 that's when I just stoped using it...

hybridcx

So now I feel like maybe I've had a "moment". After gettin home from town I reset the pid as I was having trouble keeping constant temp, it wouldn't even try and regulate with no load just heat up and up, I dunno if something reset or if now its under load but it is now regulating correctly? I don't get it but glad it's working.....

muebe

The internal SSR might have been acting up. They can get "stuck" although rare. If it happens again you will need to contact Auberins if it is still under warranty for repair or replacement.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

hybridcx

Yeah I will give it another test run this weekend, but for the pid is it suppose to regulate an empty cabinet? As it doesn't or is not doing that right now but with a load or meat in the smoker it does just fine..... 

hybridcx

SO last nigh I was attempting to make bacon and my pod would not hold 130,140 or 160. I ended up havin to bypass it again and run just off the switch? At first the out light would go off and on a few times while approaching the proper temp but then would just go off and the temp would just start to climb.. I tryed reseting a few ones but no luck. I am tempted just to send back as I have only had it 4 months and it only worked right for the first three uses and no is to inconsistent... Not sure what to do...

dsmiley

Hybridcx, did you get this resolved with the PID?  If so, what was the problem?

Dean
"You will thank us for smoking."

Dean

Kahunas

Quote from: hybridcx on March 18, 2012, 10:33:07 AM
SO last nigh I was attempting to make bacon and my pod would not hold 130,140 or 160. I ended up havin to bypass it again and run just off the switch? At first the out light would go off and on a few times while approaching the proper temp but then would just go off and the temp would just start to climb.. I tryed reseting a few ones but no luck. I am tempted just to send back as I have only had it 4 months and it only worked right for the first three uses and no is to inconsistent... Not sure what to do...
When it gets to the set temperature and the light is off does the heating element still glow?
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.