How do you auto tune a PID?

Started by watchdog56, January 21, 2012, 06:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

OK I am going to add an extra element and am wondering how to auto tune my PID. I have the 6 rack digital. Do you just put it in an empty smoker and set it for a certain temp and run it for a couple of hours? Or do you set it for different temps like you would for doing sausage? My PID is WS-1200CPH model with a single probe.

mikecorn.1

I'm sure someone instructions on how to do it. I know they say to put in some bricks in the smoker to simulate a load while it's calibrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

pensrock

Always put something in to simulate a load and I would set the temp to a common running temp. Like 220 F or so. You want to tune an instrument they way it is going to be running. For a load you can use bricks or a metal pan with sand in, it doesn't matter but you want a load of some kind.

watchdog56

When I turn on my PID and hit set and it asks for temp stage like normal and then it goes to time stage then to temp stage #2 and time stage #2.
How do you get it to come up with p,i,d A!,1?

mikecorn.1

Quote from: watchdog56 on January 28, 2012, 04:20:57 PM
When I turn on my PID and hit set and it asks for temp stage like normal and then it goes to time stage then to temp stage #2 and time stage #2.
My advise would be to talk on the phone with someone that can walk you thru it. It's what I did, and take notes. I still use a guide cause I don't use it enough :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

See the post link below. Go to where the  pics start and about the 6th picture it gets you to where you are asking.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

I do not have the dual probe PID. It is the single probe.

TedEbear

Did you enter code 166 like the instruction link said to earlier in this thread?  That gets you to the PID setting menu.

I have the single proble PID but it's not the plug-n-play version.  I'm just going by the instructions on that link that someone provided.

Setting Up Your PID

watchdog56

Yes. The only place I see where I can enter 166 is the first stage of temp. After that it goes to where I enter how long I want it at that temp. The it goes to stage 2 of temp setting.

GusRobin

have you pressed the set button and hold it?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

OK never held the set button down for a while until LCY came up. Doing ribs now and have it set for 225. Was able to run through all the programs. Hope it works. Thanks a lot folks.