New digital smoker, should I keep or not?

Started by weazel, December 31, 2013, 08:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weazel

Hi all, I have had the original Bradley smoker for about 8 years and it has been great.  I only had to replace the heat control board once in the entire time I have owned it.  Lately the heat element just doesn't get the thing over about 160 so I decided with the wear and tear on my smoker that I might just buy a whole new digital one and give the old one to a friend after replacing the element.  Well I didn't have to, as my wife gave me a new digital for Christmas.

So that leads me to my question... I have been reading about the digital smoker on here and with so many people using these and then deciding to move to a higher wattage element and/or adding a PID, it just doesnt seem like these digital smokers are worth it.  I really liked the idea of the digital interface with the set it and forget it method, giving me time to do other things on the weekend rather than watching the temperature on my smoker.

Should I just return the digital and pick up a new black smoker and buy a PID or do these digital smokers work fine enough?
I normally only do brisket, butts, roasts, ribs, seafood, fowl... I haven't done sausage and I dont think I will in the future. 

Basically, I guess I am just asking is it better to go with the black smoker with a PID or this digital?

On a side note, with all of the talk about this on the Bradley forum, how are they not trying to fix the problems?

Tenpoint5

With the things your talking about smoking your DBS will be just fine. Its when you are concerned about tight temp controls that folks start moding and changing things. As several who know me will attest. I haven't used a pid on my DBS in a long time. They will also want to point out that I have a kicked up element. Which yes I have a test element that WILL NOT be placed into production. What I am trying to say is even with a 1000 watt element there is still temp swings and there is still a learning curve that is overcome by using your unit and learning how it acts and reacts
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RedJada

Now, this is just my opinion. I also have an OBS but seems to me most of the problems people post here come from the digital units. I have had my OBS for just over a year and had no problems, but also have done no upgrades either. I think there are too many things that can go wrong on the digital units. Just my 2 cents.

NePaSmoKer

Ditto with 10.5

I have a DBS with a 750w Bradley test element that will not be implemented into a Bradley at this time. Like Chris stated you will have temp swings. Even in my walk in smokehouse i had temp swings.

Saber 4

I love my un modified 4 rack digital, I blow out the SG with canned air after each smoke and haven't had any problems yet and no desire to do mods at this time, I use the digital for what it's good for and use the 2 rack or SRG for what they are good for and have no complaints.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Saber 4 on December 31, 2013, 11:45:50 AM
I love my un modified 4 rack digital, I blow out the SG with canned air after each smoke and haven't had any problems yet and no desire to do mods at this time, I use the digital for what it's good for and use the 2 rack or SRG for what they are good for and have no complaints.
Keeping in mind, those of us that have colder winter temperatures will have longer heat recovery times. Although it usually doesn't get that cold here, some extra wattage is a huge deal in recovery times where is does get real cold.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on December 31, 2013, 08:19:58 PM
Keeping in mind, those of us that have colder winter temperatures will have longer heat recovery times. Although it usually doesn't get that cold here, some extra wattage is a huge deal in recovery times where is does get real cold.

Here in Balmy Iowa it IS THAT COLD right now. For stock units some oven heated foil wrapped bricks help. As does a larger 9x13 drip pan filled with boiling water. These help in temp recovery quite well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on December 31, 2013, 08:19:58 PM

I may have just gotten lucky with my particular unit but I haven't had any trouble with heat recovery or getting to temp even when I'm smoking overnight on below freezing nights with moderate winds. Mine may be better insulated or something because I can still hit 100 inside the cabinet with just an AMZN-PS for cold smoking.

weazel

Well I think I am taking it back and getting a new original and ordering a PID. 

I think I will buy a storage shed and insulate it so it gets up to temp faster. Unfortunately I dont have room on my deck for a storage shed so I have to put it on the other side of the yard, what is the longest extension cord someone has used without losing power?

RedJada

I wouldn't go to far with a extension cord. Use a min 12g gauge cord and keep it as short as possible. But if you can, It would be better to run power to the shed from a dedicated breaker, or tap into your pouch outlet if that already works. Again, keep with a min of 12g, (20+ feet I would use 10g) as well if going this route.

JZ

I've got an older 4 rack OBS that I've modded; 1000W, PID, 8 racks, insulation blanket. I also have a newer 4 rack DBS with no mods other than an insulation blanket. I prefer the DBS because I think it has better factory insulation and I like the temp controls better than the stock OBS. The only reason I use the OBS for most of my smokes is because of the faster heat up times (extra element) and I make sausage, which is better done with tighter temp controls. If you were happy with the performance of the OBS and don't plan on making sausages I think you will be very happy with the DBS.

Both of my smokers have structural problems like cracked doors, supports, etc. and I don't think the new model has any improvements on these issues but if I'm wrong about that I'm sure someone will chime in.

weazel

Unfortunately, I will definitely have to go about 20 feet.  We make a big deal out of the extension cords but I have read a few posts on sites with people replacing the interior wiring in these units because it was so weak.  I think most of the problems come from the wiring inside form the plug to the element.

I was thinking 10 g 25 ft

weazel

Quote from: JZ on January 03, 2014, 03:25:59 PM
I've got an older 4 rack OBS that I've modded; 1000W, PID, 8 racks, insulation blanket. I also have a newer 4 rack DBS with no mods other than an insulation blanket. I prefer the DBS because I think it has better factory insulation and I like the temp controls better than the stock OBS. The only reason I use the OBS for most of my smokes is because of the faster heat up times (extra element) and I make sausage, which is better done with tighter temp controls. If you were happy with the performance of the OBS and don't plan on making sausages I think you will be very happy with the DBS.

Both of my smokers have structural problems like cracked doors, supports, etc. and I don't think the new model has any improvements on these issues but if I'm wrong about that I'm sure someone will chime in.

My reasoning for going with the new original is that I think down the road I will buy a PID anyway so I might as well take this back and buy the original for 200 bucks cheaper and use that to buy the PID.  It would make the controls on the digital useless, or am I wrong?

TedEbear

Quote from: weazel on January 03, 2014, 03:32:03 PMIt would make the controls on the digital useless, or am I wrong?

That's correct, with a PID the Bradley controls are no longer used.

As far as weak wiring, the 18ga wire inside the Bradley is no weaker than the 18ga wire in the power cords going between the SG and the tower or the SG and the wall outlet.  Look at the stamped specifications on your black power cords, they are 18ga.

JZ

QuoteMy reasoning for going with the new original is that I think down the road I will buy a PID anyway so I might as well take this back and buy the original for 200 bucks cheaper and use that to buy the PID.  It would make the controls on the digital useless, or am I wrong?

That's a perfect reason to go with the original. I didn't realize the price difference was the much. For less money you can get the dual probe PID from Auber and have tight temp controls and step temps / times so it's all done automatically. Good call. I've got the single probe (less money) and I'm very happy with it.