Newbie in the UK

Started by surfer69, October 19, 2009, 05:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfer69

Sorry Guys,

Forgot to put that they are ' wood chips ', no bisketts unfortunatly !!!!

Gotta have something to do whilst I wait for delivery !!!!

Hopefull Romantic

I suspected that much. They do have the chips in the JD flavor. Although these chips are made for you normal smoker / grill, I have seen some forum members use the ingeniously on the Bradley burner.

Can you send me the store's website.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

surfer69

www.aldi.co.uk

The website won't have them listed as they always have 'specials' every week and these were obviously one of those specials that just didn't sell.
I'm interested in the 'ingenious use' you mention but I should stop getting ahead of myself, I've not even started yet !!

Can't even think what I want to smoke first either.

http://www.polsco.co.uk/ These guys are my inspiration, smoked lancashire cheese. Mmmmmmmnnnnnn

Hopefull Romantic

What you should smoke first, that is a difficult question. Chicken is always a safe place to start.

Cheese, Lancashire or otherwise is a cold smoke process. That means that you should not have any induced temperature in the tower and it is preferred that the smoked is initiated a bit away from the tower in what is called a cold smoke adaptor. Bradley sells those but you can make your own. You will have to take a cardbox invert it upside down, cut a piece on the left side to fit the smoke generator, another cut out on the top and attache a 4 - 5 inches flex pipe to the hole and attach to the tower. One of the variables her is the abient temperarure. The temp inside the tower should not excees 80 to 90 F and the lower (65 - 70) is better. This smoking should not take long, 2 - 3 hours of light wood; apple, cherry or hickory then out, vacuum sealed and a long wait of 10 to 14 days before you touch the stuff. Otherwise, it would be like licking an ashtray full of butts. A TRUE TEST F PATIENCE if you ask me.

HR

ArnieM

I'll start by saying I'm not an expert on your subject matter. 

Cheese:  I'd figure that the 'medium' aged variety of Lancashire would be best; not too crumbly and not to creamy.  If your temp is running 50 F or less, you could probably smoke it directly.  Otherwise a cold smoke adapter would be required.  Simply put, the SG goes in a box and the box is connected to the tower by dryer vent hose.  However it's done, the idea is to keep the heat out of the tower.  I've done it when the temp got into the 60's and put a tray of ice in the smoker.  The tower temp was running around 85 F and the cheese came out good.  You'd probably want to flip the cheese and rotate the racks front to back about half way through the smoke.  I use apple and/or pecan.  Hickory would be somewhat stronger.

Chicken:  I love those yard birds.  Many complain that the skin turns out rubbery due to the low temp. 

Keep the top vent wide open; it let's the moisture out.  Put the chicken is as dry as you can.  A couple of hours of naked time in the fridge can help dry the skin.  When all else fails, take it out before it's done and put it on the grill or in the oven for 15 minutes or so to finish it off.

Sorry, temps in degrees F.

Enjoy.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ArnieM

Sorry surfer69, I forgot to mention.  When you smoke the cheese, put a bunch of your favorites in there - cheddar, Swiss, pepper jack, mozzarella, etc.  If you're gonna pay for the smoke, make the most of it.

And as has been mentioned here thousands, maybe even hundreds of times:  It ain't done when you take it out of the smoker.  Do a double wrap of plastic or vacuum seal it, date it and put it in the fridge for AT LEAST 10 days.  The longer, the better. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

surfer69

OK. It's here !!! Now just to season and whack some meat in it.

Excited !!!

JoeHifi

Surfer 69, welcome to the fun.

muzzletim

Hey surfer 69!

Welcome to a great forum, everyone learns from each other!! Great bunch of people!

Tim
Tim

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: surfer69 on October 25, 2009, 04:10:51 AM
OK. It's here !!! Now just to season and whack some meat in it.

Excited !!!

YOu will be posting some pictures, wont you???

HR