• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Smoke !

Started by surfer69, October 25, 2009, 01:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfer69

Well, I've had a busy day !!
Unboxing, Seasoning & smoking and then Eating all in one session.

Had a pre seasoned chicken in the freezer so I decided to smoke that for a first attempt
I was drinking beer at the time so, Hey, stuff one in the cavity and try that too.
Smoked with oak for about 2+hrs at about 200+

Brought the Chicken out at around 160 and bunged it in the oven for a while to try and crisp up the skin. (failed miserably !)

Had a bit of a wobble with blood in the leg joint but apart from that no surprises. Great smoke taste, Breast a little dry but the legs were great. Will try the rest cold tomorrow.
Got a wireless temp gauge on order, which should help, and save me some leg work wandering in and out to check on the beast.

All in all a successful start I think, It looked great and some bits tasted great. It's only the start and I'm sure there will be much more to come. I feel I need to learn a little about brining and curing ( about which I know nothing)

Thanks for the warm welcome and pictures to follow once I've worked out how to do it !!

Cheers

Habanero Smoker

Hi surfer69,

You mentioned there was blood in the leg. Are you sure it was blood. It is common when poultry is slow roasted, you will see redness in the joint area. Also, today's chickens are processed at a very young age, and redness around the joints is common when they are fully cooked. To test it if is just redness or blood, take a piece of paper towel and touch it to the area. If it is fully cooked, the juices on the towel will be clear, if it is under cooked the juice on the towel will has some red in it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Good info for you from Habs.

First attempt is always a little scary I think.

Sounds like you did a great job.

KyNola

surfer69

Yeah did the towel check and yep, blood. Either way for the first time I didn't want to risk poisoning the wife !!!

surfer69

Picture Luvliness !!

From Freezer to Belly !!!

Boy posting images is time consuming.

Does anyone know if we can share them directly from facebook ?

Quarlow

Hey Surfer69. Looks real good man. Just a little tweaking and your there. I have just put my first beer can chickens in the smoker. I smoked for 1 1/2 hrs and now they are on the BBQ till final temp. Will post pics. I started with a post in the chicken section so the rest of my pics will be there. Ok that was not good just had to run outside as one of my chickens fell over. Won't be any beer  left in that can. Arrgh. Hey its all a learning curve.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Surfer

Just a quick note you have your V-Shaped drip tray in upside down
It should be in the smoker with the V pointed down.

Brian

KyNola

Great catch Brian!  I totally missed it earlier.

KyNola

Quarlow

Good one Brian, I was just skipping through and missed that too.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

surfer69

Oooops !!!
Noted about the drip tray !! Hahaha

Next job is a small joint of pork !

Habanero Smoker

Brian,

I thought installing the "V" tray wrong was impossible with the new models. Maybe it is smoker that's been in the retailers inventory for a while.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 26, 2009, 02:45:14 AM
Brian,

I thought installing the "V" tray wrong was impossible with the new models. Maybe it is smoker that's been in the retailers inventory for a while.

Hi Hab's

It could be a older model,but even on the new ones with the third pin we have had people put it in upside down.

surfer69

Maybe that's why I got 20% off  !!!!

Note to self, read instructions (properly !)

Hopefull Romantic

Great job surfer69

Great catch Brian

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

watchdog56

Also it does not look like it is seasoned yet. Hopefully it tasted ok.