New Member from Northern California...1st results (with pictures)

Started by computerthings, December 29, 2011, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

computerthings

smoke gods. 

at ~8hours of 225 F.  Internal Temp is at about 150-something F.  The piece of meat is about 5.5 lbs.  I turned up the temp a smidge and am willing to stick out about 3 more hours or so. 

Questions:
1. I have gone thru 24 the wood pucks.  I believe that the smoke part is done and that I don't need more smoke.  Correct?   
2. Should I move the meat to a different rack?
3. any other suggestions...add water? pucks? or is it just a time game?

My progress so far.  Not the best picture but I was trying to be quick and not let the heat get out.

computerthings

So here are the results.

Generally, I was pretty happy with the results but the brisket was a tad dry...I didn't want to change anything so that I knew what needed to be fixed.

For the next run, my plan is to do 4 things:
a. inject flavor/moisture into the brisket next time
b. tweak the temp to be exactly at 225.  It was always a hair low...and it might have made a difference in the total cooking time.  It took ~2 hours longer than expected @ 1.5/lb. 
c. spraying the brisket.  While I understand the heat leakage, I think coating the beef with a bit of moisture or flavor is a good thing for the taste.
d. use a rub that is less spicy...my kids won't eat overly spicy.  I need to look for a sweet rub or sauce to smoke so I can feed the kiddos.

My bark

First cut

Slicing

Sliced

New questions:
1. How long should I put wood pucks in? 1/2, 3/4, all the way thru the cooking?
2. Would I retain more heat/moisture if I left the vent closed?
3. If I add a flavor agent, like a beer or soda to the bowl, will it add more flavor?
4. Does choice of Brisket matter? eg long flat or short and stubby on cooking time / prep?
5. How are people getting above 225F from their Bradley.  On high, I topped out at 225 or so. 

Any advice is appreciated.
Stan

Keymaster

KyNola

The amount of smoke is personal preference but 4 hours is a lot of smoke.  The smoke that a Bradley produces is a very concentrated pure form of smoke so smoking for the entire time generally is not required but again, it is personal preference.  As for closing the vent, don't.  Contrary to what would be normal logic, having the vent closed is actually detrimental as you need the moisture to escape.  Otherwise two things are going to happen and neither of them is good.  If the moisture is trapped inside the tower, it will actually hold the temp down and prevent it from rising.  Moreover, the moisture will begin to condensate on the top of your tower and drip a nasty black rain down on your meat.

I'll let others handle your other questions.  They know more than me.

GusRobin

1) 4 hrs (12 pucks + 3 more if you don't have bubba pucks) is plenty of smoke.
2) As said above- don't close the vent. Some adjust 3/4 or so, others like me have cooked with it wide open since day one.
3) If you have an OBS and do not have a PID or remote thermometer, I would put the meat on the top rack or second from the top. That way the door thermometer is below the meat. I usually put small bread pans on the last rack, put some beef broth in it and collect the drippings. After, put juice in a jar and the fat will congeal on top, Remove the fat and you have some great au jus for the meat.
4) Go by temp (about 185-190) and then FTC for a 1-3 hours. (FTC- wrap in Foil, then wrap in an old Towel, and then put in a Cooler.)
5) Sometimes when I do briskets I get different temps at different parts so also go with a "tender" test. Put a fork in it and twist. If it twists easily then it is done, or if a probe goes in like butter it is done.

My opinion, yours and others mileage may vary.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: GusRobin on December 30, 2011, 07:23:04 AM
1) 4 hrs (12 pucks + 3 more if you don't have bubba pucks) is plenty of smoke.
2) As said above- don't close the vent. Some adjust 3/4 or so, others like me have cooked with it wide open since day one.
3) If you have an OBS and do not have a PID or remote thermometer, I would put the meat on the top rack or second from the top. That way the door thermometer is below the meat. I usually put small bread pans on the last rack, put some beef broth in it and collect the drippings. After, put juice in a jar and the fat will congeal on top, Remove the fat and you have some great au jus for the meat.
4) Go by temp (about 185-190) and then FTC for a 1-3 hours. (FTC- wrap in Foil, then wrap in an old Towel, and then put in a Cooler.)
5) Sometimes when I do briskets I get different temps at different parts so also go with a "tender" test. Put a fork in it and twist. If it twists easily then it is done, or if a probe goes in like butter it is done.

My opinion, yours and others mileage may vary.

Ditto!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Keymaster

Looks Great, how thick was your fat cap? I usually trim my fat cap down to a 1/4 inch.

computerthings

Quote from: Keymaster on December 30, 2011, 07:31:58 AM
Looks Great, how thick was your fat cap? I usually trim my fat cap down to a 1/4 inch.

I got it from Costco so the fat was pretty well trimmed already.

4) Go by temp (about 185-190) and then FTC for a 1-3 hours. (FTC- wrap in Foil, then wrap in an old Towel, and then put in a Cooler.) - Can I tent in foil?  I'd like to use foil trays so covering is easier...just wondering if there is a difference.  And cooler - can this be a cold oven?

5) Sometimes when I do briskets I get different temps at different parts so also go with a "tender" test. Put a fork in it and twist. If it twists easily then it is done, or if a probe goes in like butter it is done. I tried to hold out for longer but it started to drizzle rain so I protected / covered it so I could smoke another day.

Keymaster

If it had little to no fat cap that could contribute to the dryness possibly.

computerthings

It was trimmed to pretty low fat now that I think about it...Damn Costco...give me mah fat.

Trial #1 turned out pretty good all things considering.

beefmann

looks great even sliced, usually 2 to 3 hours is good for me, like others have said it is a personal preference. I  would start off with 3 hours  of smoke and go from there

Hirschinator

computerthings

Quote from: Hirschinator on January 02, 2012, 10:08:47 AM
If you are looking for some good recipes go to:   www.deejayssmokepit.net

Bookmarked.  I'm still a nub but having fun trying out new methods.  thanks again for the linkage.