Smoke event #2 - New Years (Pictures)

Started by computerthings, January 01, 2012, 09:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

computerthings

Hello,

I am a somewhat new OBS user and this was my second attempt at using / understanding smoking meats.  I live in Northern California and have used BBQ and Broiling previously to cook meats.  I frequently watch Food Network so I am pretty excited about using / improving my ability to learn the low and slow method of cooking.

Baby Back Ribs

Tri Tip - No special recipe, this was the pre-marinated one from Costco.  My kids like it and since I am still learning how to cook on the OBS, it was my safe meat.

I am relatively new to rubs, sauces, etc...so any quality (non spicy) ones would be recommended.  For this attempt, the tri tip came out great, the ribs came out moist but I think the flavor can be improved.

Dry Mix Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Sweet Baby Rays went on about 1 hour from finishing.  I was short on time as we had to get to an event but in the future, I will likely finish the ribs on the grill.  Input appreciated.

watchdog56

Looks good. One tip on the ribs is you know when they are done when the meat on the bone is pulled back about 1/2"-1 inch on the bone. Here is a good recipe that alot of us have used.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

And here is a site with many more recipe's on it;
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

chiroken

Looks like you are starting off quite well!

For a spice many people here recommend Jan's Rub, found on the susan minor link you've been given. I recently made it up (the spicy version) and I find it quite nice but in no way spicy. I am looking to experiment to spice it up, just not sure what to use to do so (ie more cayenne or not?)

Did your pictures get cut off once loaded? Looks like the right part of the pic didn't make it? If so, may need to re-size the images smaller. I know I use photobucket and you can set the default to re-size the images smaller automatically on upload. Digital cameras these days are all 10-12 MB!

Keep smoking, I just did New Year's Eve dinner and it turned out great! Experiment with any and everything and when you don't know what to do, come here and ask - an amazing number of helpful people here to help! (thanks again everyone!)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

beefmann

ghost9mm

Dang !!! that all looks like a big winner to me..hope y'all enjoyed it...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill