Well uh ok i guess.

Started by viper125, August 05, 2013, 08:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Well been doing a little better health wise. Money though still a problem these days. But never was much to worry about that. And life here is pretty great. We practice homesteading, growing and preserving our own foods. Getting a way from store bought foods has helped my health tremendously. Only processed foods we eat is home process with little to no chemicals. But on to the story.
I was at church and many there know my love of making meats. So a man was asking me about if i ever made pulled pork! LOL! Me have i ever! So of course i was bragging a little. Then added i don't much any more and left it at that. This was about a month ago.
Well yesterday i get a knock at the door. And here he is and his wife saying I got the pork can you do it. LOL! I sad what you wanting? I'm lost at this point. He said the church paid off the mortgage. We want to throw a pulled pork party. Well as i always do the grilling and fish frys they just assumed id do the pork! And me not doing it so long couldn't resist the urge to play with raw meat. So in they march with about 70 lbs of large pork butts. ;) So today i start getting them ready. Oh and now I got my Sony A330 back to take pics. So the world is looking good and bright to me today. Just wanted to touch base and share. I will try to get some great pics for you.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OU812

Good to here your health is gettin better

Have fun smokin up that big ol pile of pork

Saber 4

Good to hear your health is better and things are going well for you, I'm getting ready to throw a couple of butt's on this morning as well. my wife called and said she needs pulled pork for her quilt guild meeting tomorrow night so I can relate on a smaller scale. looking forward to the pics and progress reports. :)

rveal23

Great for you. I bet smoking will make you feel even better.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

SiFumar

Good to hear you're feeling a bit better. 

viper125

Well really doing quite a bit better. And you're all right! It is a lot of fun I miss. LOL! I started by rubbing in a BBQ RuB i was given for Christmas exchange here. Sorry my memory is shot and cant remember who, but it is appreciated as is all. I rubbed it down with Olive oil then applied my rub.

THen I applied the apple smoke to each side for 1.5 hours a side.  Smoked and cooked at 240 degrees for about 5 hours. THe last hour i applied 1 hour of hickory.

And this is what they looked like when pulled from the smoker. No burn but a nice bark and just right color i think.

[/URL]

Then placed on a pan lined with foil and added apple cider.  And wrapped and sealed. Now its in the oven at 350 degrees. So when its done i'll do some more pics. Figured i'd try this rub on 1/3 the meat before using it all. Normally it would be jans. But i was too low on it.

[/URL]
Inside setup.

viper125

Well  a few picks out of the oven and ready to pull.

And the finished product is a dry rub barbecue. And mighty tasty.Just the way i like it. Now the next batch will be a tomato based sauce and the third i think a mustard and vinegar sauce. I'm sure this will make many happy  smiling people. It did me. Been a while i was worried i lost my touch. Thanks for looking.

Inside setup.

Saber 4

Doesn't look like you lost any of your touch. I'll be in great shape if mine comes out half as nice as that.

Tenpoint5

Good to see you posting again Viper
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

Viper my friend
Glad you are feeling better and back in the saddle. It looks like you have not lost your touch. I would love to make a nice Sammy out of that.
KC

OU812

KyNola

Good to see you back in the saddle again Viper.  Doesn't look like you lost your touch.

viper125

Thanks every one. I do feel better. And the smoking definitely feels great. It's so amazing to see all the gracious comments and well wishes. God Bless you all!
Well that was about 1/3 of the meat. Like I said it was a new rub and wanted to test it before doing it all. A light BBQ flavor and quite tasty. I will use it on the rest but to the next two i'll add wet sauces as asked. I normally cook my BBQ sauce in when doing it. But because of different peoples taste have been doing most without sauce and serving it on the side so they can add their own.
After explaining to them they gave me free hand to add. So here i go. got a lot of fat to trim on these  but it will be a fun time.
Inside setup.

Keymaster

Looking good!! Should be a good party :)

seb bot

Hey Viper, glad to hear you are feeling better these days. :) Pork looks great, hope your party goes (went?) well!

Got some ribs in the smoker right now, still using your BBQ sauce recipe, looking forward to dinner tonight!