Need a good Instant Read Thermometer

Started by weekendsmoker, December 14, 2008, 07:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Most thermometers are accurate within +2 degrees, and they are good for everyday use; but as Mike pointed out it the read time that makes a big difference. The average instant read can take 8 to 20 seconds to give an accurate reading. The Thermapen will give you a read out in less then 3 seconds, and I often find it is less time then that. The bottom line is each should purchase what works for them, for the application they are going to use the equipment.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Thanks Pens and Habs.  I just have to be really careful by what I spend and not much gets past the wife.  She would hit me from here to Timbuktu if I spent upwards of $100 on a thermometer.  Now, once I win the Powerball, all bets are off. ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

The model that I have has a magnetic back and about a 3 or 4 foot probe wire. That way I can just open the door and quickly probe a number of sausage. It works very well.

I don't think it's a required item as I used to use my ET73 and it did work fine. The thing I like about this is it's fast and has very small diameter probe.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

I did not Buck up for the thermopen until I started doing sausages. A pork butt or a briskit, does not care if you leave a big gaping hole in it, but sausage does. It's the most non-intrusive probe out there. I was convinced by some S.F. Culinary Institute students that let me try one. That did it for me..