Pork Crown Roast

Started by Johnny Guitar, April 10, 2009, 02:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Guitar

Has anybody done a Pork Crown Roast in the Bradley. 

I've done a standing rib roast/Prime Rib and it was fabulous.  I'm just looking for a framework.  ie temp and time along with how long to smoke and what type of wood to smoke with.
Cheers,

Wildcat

About the only pork I do is butt and ribs.  I always prefer apple with pork.  I smoke for 4 hours on butts.  Cook time varies on all things depending on a number of factors including cabinet temp - for butts 12 to 25 hours with box temp of 205.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Butts, Ribs, and Loins and Roasts here also, not familiar with the cut, how many pounds is it?

Ka Honu

Crown Roast is usually a rib roast/rack of pork tied into a circle (bones on the inside) with the ribs "frenched."

Depending on how smoky you want it, I'd go 3-4 hours of smoke (apple, maple, hickory or mesquite would all work, depending on the taste you want), then to an IT of 150o and FTC for a couple of hours.

If you have a Big Easy (TBE) and want to crisp up the outside, I'd probably take it out around 140-145o before finishing in TBE to an IT of about 155-160o.

Habanero Smoker

I've never made Pork Crown Roast, but have smoked/roasted several loins. I use a cabinet temperature of 225°F, and generally apply 1:40 - 2:00 hours of pecan or apple. The timing depends on that particular cut of meat; it's done when it is done. For cuts approximately 4 pounds, it has taken me 3 to 5 hours, and I only take my pork to 142°F - 145°F; with the carryover will bring them up another 3°F - 5°F. I don't FTC, but tent them while they rest. Since you will still have the bones attached, I would add additional time; as I would guesstimate 4 hour average.

With a Pork Crown Roast, though slow roasting is best, you don't have to worry about low and slow rule. That is a tender cut so if you are running short on time, you can put it in a oven at a higher heat to shorten the cooking time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)