First smoked chicken - any help

Started by phoenix316, February 14, 2012, 08:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoenix316

I am going to smoke a chicken tomorrow night and want any advice i can get.

Here is my plan:

Take 1 whole 5 pound roaster and 3 boneless/skinless chicken breast and brine them overnight.

Brine will be water, salt, maple syrup, apple cider.

At noon start the smoker with pecan wood at 220.

Smoke for 2.5 hours and then finish it till it comes to temperature.

I just wanted to know if there would be a problem cooking the breasts with the whole chicken.

KyNola

Make sure the vent is 100% wide open as the poultry is going to give off a lot of moisture.  I would also suggest going up to 250 if possible in order to get the poultry out of the danger zone as soon as possible.  The boneless breasts will most likely get finished before the roaster.  Also, unless you move the roaster to your house oven to crisp up the skin, the skin will be quite rubbery and pretty much inedible if completed on the smoker.

Others more informed will be along to give you better advice. 

phoenix316

So smoke for 2.5 hours at 250 degrees and then finish in a ??? degree oven.

Also, any suggestions on side dishes?

OU812

Smoke for 2 to 2.5 hr vent wide open, smoker set at 250 F and finish off in 350 F oven till the IT hits 160 to 165 pull outta the oven and allow to rest 20 min before carving.

You could also finish on the grill over indirect heat to avoid flair ups.

The breast will form a tuff outer layer with out any skin, I would smoke then finish wrapped in foil to avoid the dry, tuff outer layer, again pull out of the heat when the IT hits 160.

We likes mashed taters and gravy along with steamed cheesy veggies with chicken.

KyNola

OU812 is dead on the money.  You could also wrap the skinless breasts in bacon to help with moistness and great flavor!

OU812

Quote from: KyNola on February 14, 2012, 08:47:31 AM
OU812 is dead on the money.  You could also wrap the skinless breasts in bacon to help with moistness and great flavor!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM BACON!

But allot of folks cook skinless chicken to avoid the fat the skin has in it.  ::)

hal4uk

Unless you're feeding a lot of people, you might consider just doing the roaster.  As already mentioned, the boneless skinless breasts will cook considerably  faster/differently than a whole roaster, and since this is your first go, that's less for you to worry about.  If you need to cook all of it, you might want to put the roaster on first and put the breasts in (much) later so they come off near the same time. 
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

phoenix316

I am only feeding 3 adults and a 2 year old, but I love smoked leftovers.

I think I am just going to get a second roaster.

Mashed potatoes and gravy made with homemade stock and green beans.

I want it to be ready at around 530.

Here is my plan

Start the smoker at 1 with pecan wood at 250.

Put the 2 roasters in at 130.

Pull them out at 4 into a 350 oven till they hit temp (roughly how long will this take?)

Rest for 30, then carve and serve.

One last quick question:

Should I use a rub on it?  I am going to brine them, but I want to know whether I should use a rub as well.

KyNola

Should you use a rub?  In short, yes.  If you have the ingredients or the ability to lay your hands on the ingredients and get it mixed up I heartily recommend this one http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?467-Jan-s-Dry-Rub

For the record, Jan is my wife and we developed this Rub especially for poultry but people seem to like it on just about everything now.

OU812

Gotta have a rub on that bird.

After you take the bird outta the brine you will want to rinse under cold running water for 5 min then pat dry and let it sit uncovered in the fridge about an hr.

This will help the flavors of the brine equalize.

About an hr before placing the bird in the smoker rub it down with some oil, I like peanut oil, then dump on your rub and let it set at room temp.

Then go with your plan.

This is gonna be gooood.

phoenix316

Rubbed, rested.

2 hours smoke, 1 hour in oven, basted in bbq sauce. 

Best, juiciest chicken I have ever eaten.

I love this smoker and this forum.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JZ

Nice job and now you too are hooked on smoking.

Quarlow

Quote from: OU812 on February 14, 2012, 09:08:02 AM
Quote from: KyNola on February 14, 2012, 08:47:31 AM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM BACON!

But allot of folks cook skinless chicken to avoid the fat the skin has in it.  ::)
FAT IN BACON, Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

viper125

Kind of like a women on another site. I posted the bacon apple pie recipe. She commented on avoiding bacons unhealthy fat and using Virgin olive oil. Would have been all right but the comment before she was bragging on these cream rolls she made with tins of lard. Said they were so good she ate the whole dozen! LOL People!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

BJ1fish

I too am doing my first smoke on my new Bradley. This thread has been a great help. Taste Great First time to brine also, Very Happy with the new smoker.