pork temp--2nd smoke

Started by triple2ne, March 07, 2005, 12:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple2ne

Im going to do a pork shoulder and pork loin roast in 2 days.  I plan on trying two different recipes for both for the experience.  Im gonna pull/shread both of them. During my research here, Im seeing people pulling their pork out to FTC at 149 degrees all the way to 185 or 190.  What gives?

Chez Bubba

3-2,

Pork shoulder & loin are two different animals when it comes to cooking. Shoulder is laced with fat and needs a much longer cooking time and higher IT to render away the nasties. Loin is relatively low in fat albeit the outer cap, which just protects it & keeps it moist while cooking.

I tend to pull my butts at about 190F, but a loin, I never let go past 135F. Resting, it will come up to 140F. IMO, if you take a loin to 190F, you can use it for a starter in your fireplace. No amount of gravy will ever cure it.[xx(]

I don't think the loin will "shred" like a butt, don't know if it will "shred" at all. Two totally different cuts, you might as well be talking fish & brisket.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

triple2ne

Thanks for straightening me out.[:)]  Thats why I come here, to learn from u pro's.  I will let u know how it turns out.

triple2ne

It took 8 hrs including the FTC, but I got my 2.3 lb pork loin roast out.  Dang tasty too.  I rubbed it with mustard, then with a commercial rub (Fat Boy).  20 hrs in the fridge.  I also injected it with a mix of apple juice and Dale's.  Drenched it in bacon during the cook.  I had to use hickory, but it was good...AS for the 3.3 lbs pork shoulder, its been 12 hrs and its still plateau'ed at 171 degrees..Im getting impatient, waiting to get it to 185 degrees, then FTC.. Pulled pork is hard to wait for....[8D]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by triple2ne</i>
<br />Pulled pork is hard to wait for....[8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That's why, after learning the process, I start mine right before I go to bed. The first 6 hours is worry-free![;)][:)]

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

triple2ne

Pork shoulder in at 845 am, out of FTC at 1230 am.  It is so good, I cant believe it.  Great crust and moist inside. I woke my wife up to try it.  Thank you Kirk for setting me straight and M-Wacker for the recipe.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by triple2ne</i>
<br />..... <b><font color="red"><font size="2">I woke my wife up to try it</font id="size2"> </font id="red">  </b>......  Thank you Kirk for setting me straight and M-Wacker for the recipe.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

NOW that can be dangerous, I will take NO responsiblity for that action nor did I suggest that...[B)]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

St. Helens Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I woke my wife up to try it. Thank you Kirk for setting me straight and M-Wacker for the recipe.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now there's a man that likes to live dangerously[:D][:D]

Congrats however with a successful 2nd smoke[:)]

Chez Bubba

I don't know why you guys think that is so dangerous. I've.....nevermind......PG-13![}:)][;)][:D][:D]

Kirk

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I woke my wife up to try it. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sometimes I wake up Grumpy, sometimes I let her sleep.[:D]

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />I don't know why you guys think that is so dangerous. I've.....nevermind......PG-13![}:)][;)][:D][:D]

The "Mystery of Smoke" does have some inherent qualities and at time have produced some distinctive and favoralble reactions....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Kamanodental

<br />Pork shoulder in at 845 am, out of FTC at 1230 am.  It is so good, I cant believe it.  Great crust and moist inside. I woke my wife up to try it.  Thank you Kirk for setting me straight and M-Wacker for the recipe.

Whats an FTC ???  Fed Trade Com  lol really.  Im new so besides my Hawaiian pidgin language...what is an FTC.?

Thanks

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

Lasse

Hi,

I copied T2's reply from an earlier post:
FTC is "foil, towel, cooler" After you finish your smoke/cook, wrap your meat in foil, then a towel, then place it in a cooler for up to 6 hours. It maintains its heat and distributes the moisture in the meat evenly throughout. It finishes the meat nicely and gives you some leeway to serve guests at the right time for you.

And this one from Bsolomon:
The other purpose of this technique is to let the juices in the meat settle after cooking. When you heat meat, the juices get forced out of the tissue. If you carve immediately, all of them will just run out into a puddle on your cutting board. Letting the meat rest for even as little as 10 minutes before carving will help solve this problem, and helps keep the meat moist and tender. I think this is the real justification for the FTC.

And this one is from nsxbill:
 The standing time in foil actually,according to the experts I have read, breaks down the collagen a bit more and makes the meat more tender. I was skeptical until I tried it. Try it. I always wrap pork butt, ribs and brisket in saran, foil, beach towel and into the Coleman type cooler for 2 hours. The meat, even after 6 hrs will still be very hot, so no worries about bacteria. It is like butter when it comes out!

/Lasse

Phone Guy

MallardWacker

I'll go $2.00.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas