Pork tenderloin

Started by SmokinMoe, April 01, 2005, 03:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

I am trying the S&S recipe for this tonight.  Anyone have any experience doing one of these?  If so, what type of puck did you use and any tips I may need to know?
Thanks in advance.
Bill, if you are reading this, should I try to marinate it too?  The recipe calls for a rub, but was wondering if I should marinade in the reveo.  I don't want an Asian flavor, so I wondered if there was anything in S&S that would work with it.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

psdubl07

Moe, I have done tenderloins twice,  preparing 2 loins differently each time, but I have never marinated them.  I have done them with and without bacon wrapped around them and both ways are tasty, just depends on if you want the bacon taste.  Depending on the type of bacon and your prep of the loins, you can overpower the other flavors IMO.

First smoke used Maple.  One loin had a pork-type (paprika based) rub and was then wrapped in bacon.  2nd loin was butterflied and had a rough pesto I threw together spread inside, then was string tied and bacon wrapped.  The pesto one was the favorite.

Second smoke used Hickory.  Many members will steer you away from Hickory as too strong, personally I like it.  One loin was the pesto prep again w/ bacon, 2nd loin had this coffee rub prep:
http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/pork0351.htm
The coffee one was the favorite.  I should also point out that the coffee one was not bacon wrapped, and none of the 3 people munching on them could tell any difference in moisture or tenderness.

I bring mine to an internal temp of 160, and if it's bacon wrapped, toss it under the broiler to crisp the bacon up a bit.

Hope this helps.

BigSmoker

I would marinate it with just some water and EVOO.  This will be kinda like brining so it will stay nice and juicy.  Rub it down with your favorite rub or not.  I would only take my internal temp to 150°f but to each his(or her in this case)own.  Have fun.  Maple would be good for smoke if you haven't tried it.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Moe,

Just this Arky's opine here.  Loin to me always needs some help with flavor anythinng you can do to help it I would.  Wood choices would always be Pecan, then maybe Apple or Oak for a little Stronger kick.  HAve fun and let us know.  I am always interested in finding out what makes a loin do better than just making Bacon[:p] out of them.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

tsquared

SmokinMoe: I have an excellent recipe that converted my partner from "Why do you have to make things so complicated?" (She was talking about the smoker) to "Make this AGAIN!" with an awed look on her face.
Smoked Pork Tenderloin with plum-rosemary Marinade
Plum-Cassis Marinade (recipe below)
2-3 Tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary leaves
apple or orange juice
3 lb pork tenderloin

Marinade
6 fresh plums, pitted and coarsely chopped(I freeze some from our tree every summer just for this recipe)
1/4 cup creme de cassis liqueur
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dry Madeira wine
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg.

1) Boil plums and cassis then reduce heat and simmer for 20 min.
Cool.
2)combine plum mixture with vinegar, wine, garlic, mustard, sugar and nutmeg and puree.

Cooking method
1)Combine marinade and rosemary and marinate pork overnight or for 8 hours.
2)Remove pork, boil marinade to baste with.
3) Use apple juice in the water pan of your smoker, smoke pork with apple or cherry or pecan until internal temp reaches 140 f.
4) Prepare to receive the accolades of your guests. This recipe is the one that convinced me that a smoker should be used for more than just salmon.It's from a cookbook called Marinades by Jim Tarantino. Hope you enjoy if you try it.
Tom

SmokinMoe

The pork tenderloin was fork tender!! BEST we ever had and we eat it often.
I marinated it in the reveo (still not sure on it since my pork tenderloins always tasted like they were marinated through and through the old way) and then, put it in the smoker with maple pucks for about an hour and 20 minutes.  Cooked until the internal temp was 160 degrees and wrapped it in foil for about 1 hour.
It was so good, that my kids were eating it like candy and next time, I need to double the amount I make just so that we have enough to eat!!
My marinade was:
1 Cup vegetable oil
2 T minced garlic
pepper to taste
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 Cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 Cup lemon juice
3/4 Cup Soy Sauce

This marinade is also GREAT for roasts if you marinate the roast first and then put it in the crock pot the next day.  It is so good!!
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

nsxbill

Tom and Moe

Both of these recipes sound great.  Have you tried stuffing the pork loin with cheeses, pesto, et al, then marinating?  Have threatened to do a couple with a chipotle raspberry spread with cheese inside, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I think the Cassis Plum marinade certainly would compliment that...served with Cassis and white wine and maybe some smoked asparagus bundles tied with bacon smoked briefly, and then finished on the grill.  

Getting the juices flowing!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Thunder Fish

Stuff with Italin Sausage,poke the casing once stuffed with a toothpick and let the flavor <i></i>R U N ! ! ! [:D]