My First Sausage

Started by Mr Walleye, January 20, 2008, 08:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Giz...my man...please say those are coming to the smoke out!!!???  They look delicious!!!

PS...dry run on LOX is great...may have to bring some...in the fridge for 24 hours...oh this is gonna be fun!!! :) Prime rib...snack sticks...cold smoked salmon...oh yeAH BABE!!!

Gizmo

Yup, they will and I will probably have some slim jims as well.  Looks like it will have a little more flavor.
FYI, the LSU Crawfish boil tickets are on order.  You will have a blast at this bash.  We have about 60 people in our group coming so far and all the preliminary orders aren't in. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Can't wait...I am a bug head from way back!!! Thanks!! Bob's never had them...gonna be fun!!! :)

Habanero Smoker

Drano;

I just read your post. I will be making about 10 lbs of bratwurst in a couple of weeks. I've never smoked any either, but will be smoking about 5 lbs of the 10 lbs batch. If you smoke yours sooner let me know how they turn out.

If you are making sausage, cooking chicken parts, Kummock's salmon, steaks or any fish the ThermaPen is a must have. I have had mine for close to 2 years, use it frequently, and still have the original battery. You will find it comes in handy to monitor the temperature of most cooking/baking projects.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

drano

Habanero Smoker
It will be a few months before I make more bratwurst.
I need to get my sausage-making book out to see what kind of cure is recommended so I kill the bad stuff. 
Keep us posted on your results.
Guess I need to put that Thermapen on my Santa list--don't know if I can wait that long though . . .

Habanero Smoker

If you are adding a cure to your own seasoning, the recommended cure for smoked sausage (not dried sausage) is InstaCure #1, or any of the equivalent brands. I have bratwurst seasoning, and will be adding a cure to one batch. I'll post my results on the end product, especially the taste; because the nitrite will alter the taste.

These are the calculations I've come up with base on the recommended 4 oz per 100 lbs of ground meat. I will be making 10 lbs. and plan to smoke only 5 lbs. so I will only be adding a cure to 5 lbs.

The recommended amounts of InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1, pink salt etc (its alright to use the higher rounded off figure):
1 lb.  add      1.13 grams
5 lb.  add      5.56 grams (6 grams) or 1 teaspoon.
15 lb. add      17 grams (18 grams) or 1 tablespoon.

The calculations don't have to be exact to the 1/100th of a gram, but if any one sees a major miscalculation please let me know.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stickbowcrafter

Very nice product Mike...WOW. Been wondering when you were going to post that "first". Looks perfect!

-Brian

Mr Walleye

Brian

With all your fine sausage posts I.... well.... I bit, hook line and sinker!  :D

I still haven't got my stuffer but I've got lots of sausage planned.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SmokinHotMama

Hey there Mr. Walleye...  How about that grinder...  Now that is "man's man" grinder, huh?  There is no messing around with that thing...  The sausage looks awesome!  How was it!  See, I knew that if we could do it, you would have no problems at all....  WTG!  I think SmokinHotPapa just bought that same book?  Is that "The Sausage Bible"?   He can't wait to get it!  Are you lovin' it?

Life is too short...  Nothing but FUN!

Mr Walleye

Mama

That grinder is one meat hungry hog! Hey... how can you argue that! I can't believe how fast that puppy is.

The sausage turned out really good. Next time I will add a little more cayenne to it. I kinda like the hot stuff. Papa's going to love that book. It certainly taught me lots, plus many ideas in it. Once you read it you'll see why every body refers to as the "Bible"

I can't decide on what's next... either summer sausage or beef sticks.... maybe both!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes