Best way to do GB Jerky

Started by josbocc, October 22, 2011, 07:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

Hey Everyone,

I do a lot of GB jerky every year (usually about 250 lbs. between hunting season and X-Mas).  I started with the Jerky Cannon (with two extra tubes), and then progressed to a LEM 5lb sausage stuffer that is hooked to a Dakotah Sausage jerky attachment.  I've looked at the LEM battery operated cannon and am not thrilled about the price (nor the reviews).  Now I see a lot of people talking about "Jerky Boards."

I'm a woodworker, and could easily knock out a board in a short period of time..., but I'd like everyone's opinion.  What is the easiest, quickest, and least messy way to get 15 lbs of GB into the smoker / dehydrator?

If you all would share your opinions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Josbocc

Like FLB mentioned, the jerky board would be real easy to make. I haven't tried it so I can't really comment on it but this would be my ideas of it. I would make the rails on the edge 3/16 on one side and 1/4 on the other. I would make the distance between the rails the same width as a standard roll of plastic food wrap. I would lay plastic food wrap in it, press the meat into place, cover with more plastic wrap and use a roller to flatten it out. next I would use a pizza cutter to make it into strips. I have thought about trying this but just haven't got around to it.

If you give this a shot let us know how it works out.

I have tried everything to simplify it. I have used plastic wrap in an 8 x 8 x 2 pan, filled with meat, topped with pastic wrap, turn it upsaide down and remove the block of meat, freeze it for 4 hours and finally run it through a slicer. This worked fairly well. I really likes the texture of the jerky. For what ever reason it seemed more dense and more similar to whole muscle jerky. The down side is the amount of prep work and time including cleaning the slicer etc.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Quarlow

LIne a cookie sheet with plastic wrap and roll the GB jerky out flat, maybe cover it with wrap before rolling. Then put in freezer till firm and then slice with a pizza cutter.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

josbocc

Walleye and Quarlow,

Now that you brought it up, I do recall someone sharing the "Frozen block" technique.  I do own a slicer, and the idea sounds viable, but I am doing a LOT of jerky.

My Cabelas dehydrator fits 15 lbs of GB jerky very nicely, and the spices I'm using from Hi-Mtn conveniently are packaged for a 15 lb. batch (except some of the bulk ones).  I'm just not sure that freezing three 5lb blocks, then slicing them, would be more convenient than my current method which is a 5lb LEM sausage stuffer that is equipped with a Dakotah Sausage jerky attachment.

Maybe I'm just being lazy, but I was hoping that there was a quicker alternative that would result in less clean-up time.  Suppose I could just go commercial, and solve the problem  ;D ;D ;D

Anyways, if there are other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks Again for Your Input,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Mr Walleye

Josbocc

That was me who posted that. Here is a link to the thread including photos...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9517.0

I hear ya on the making it easier though and I'm not sure it is easier than what you are doing. I may have to try using one of my stuffers and see how it goes because that's one method I haven't tried.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SiFumar

I read about this when I was a lurker, but couldn't find it again, I glad it was brought back up cause I wanted to try it.