Ground Beef Jerky Through The Slicer

Started by Mr Walleye, March 07, 2009, 03:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

I decided to try Stargazer's method of slicing frozen ground beef jerky through the slicer. Here's how it went....

Not much of a recipe... I use the regular jerky mix from JB Sausage. It's a local supply store. The product is very similar to Hi Mountain products. I prefer to use the regular, then add what ever I want. In this case, for 22 lbs I added 2 tbs course black pepper, 2 tbs white pepper and 2 tsp jalapeƱo powder. Sparks it up a bit! I mix this with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of soy sauce, then mix with meat.

Last night I mixed everything up then I used one 8x8 cake pan. I lined it with plastic wrap, then filled it making sure to get it stuffed well into the corners, wrapped the tag ends of the plastic wrap over the top, then dumped it out on a cutting board, then repeat. I did 22 lbs, I think I had 7 and half 8x8 pieces about 1 & 3/4 inches thick. I through them in the freezer over night and sliced them this morning. Actually worked very well.

This Picture shows one of the 8 x 8 blocks before slicing.

Click to Enlarge...

I didn't apply any smoke to this batch, I just wanted to test the method. Here's one rack ready to go into the dehydrator.

Here's the dehydrator completely loaded. I got about 20 lbs into it and as soon as the first few pieces were done I put the other 2 lbs in.

And finally a couple pictures of the finished product.

This is most of it but I am still waiting on about 3 racks so I should have another full bag. My son was here and already stole one bag!  :o  :D

Thanks Stargazer for sharing your slicing method. It worked very well.

Nepas mentioned in another thread that a friend of his used to something similar, he would mix the meat, roll it like a big fatty, wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze, then slice it into round jerky medallions the next day. That's not a bad idea either.

Certainly using the slicer is easy enough and either of these methods would work very well.

Mike 

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

westexasmoker

Looks great Mike!....guess its time to get a slicer, and grinder...and more toys....Oh I mean tools!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

NePaSmoKer

Mike the jerky looks fantastic.  What was the fat ratio in the GB.

Man i can almost smell the jerky......................Outstanding my friend.

nepas

Mr Walleye

It was Extra Extra Lean. I think around 93/7 or something like that. There was almost no mess in the dehydrator, just a couple of drips.

It's very tasty, just enough heat. In fact a little too tasty. Jerky and a couple of beers were supper to night!  ::)

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 07, 2009, 05:35:03 PM
It was Extra Extra Lean. I think around 93/7 or something like that. There was almost no mess in the dehydrator, just a couple of drips.

It's very tasty, just enough heat. In fact a little too tasty. Jerky and a couple of beers were supper to night!  ::)

Mike

Oh yeah

Jerky and beer dinner  ;D

I need to try to get my slicer out. The thing has a 15" blade and the table and some of the other parts are cast iron and porcelain coated, The thing weighs about 100lbs

nepas

IKnowWood

hey Nepa, its the all new Jerky diet and exercise program.  Just remember to put the slicer in hard to reach (lower and higher locations)  The beer and meat diet sounded ok, but adding in the cardio of utility makes it so much better.

Want the name of my Chiro?
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

josbocc

Mike,

Looks like a great batch!  From your post it looks like you just used the cake pan to form the blocks, then put them in the feezer..., correct?

After freezing overnight, did this seem to test your slicer, or did it slice fairly easily?  I use the LEM jerky cannon, and after shooting out about 13 - 14 lbs. of GB, my right hand feels like carpal tunnel is just around the corner :'(

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Stargazer

Oh WOW Mr Walleye, you nailed it. That is exactly on the money :D

Now I'm gonna have to do up a big batch real soon myself. That come out looking real good.

May I ask please, I currently own a super cheap round dehydrator, doesn't even have a heat control. Only an on/off switch so I am left up to eye balling my jerky until its done.

I plan on getting a dehydrator where I can set the heat, looking at one like yours actually. May I ask please about your heat and time for the jerky?

Very happy you liked this method. Makes a bunch and saves the wrists so you can enjoy your jerky and use your hands for other things when done, such as holding a beer with one and the remote for tv with the other :D
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

West Coast Kansan

Very nice and uniform.  easy to dry, pack, carry all that.  Cool ideas  8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: josbocc on March 07, 2009, 07:00:16 PM
Mike,

Looks like a great batch!  From your post it looks like you just used the cake pan to form the blocks, then put them in the feezer..., correct?

After freezing overnight, did this seem to test your slicer, or did it slice fairly easily?  I use the LEM jerky cannon, and after shooting out about 13 - 14 lbs. of GB, my right hand feels like carpal tunnel is just around the corner :'(

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff

You are correct, I only used the cake pan to form the blocks. You do want to line it with plastic wrap otherwise I think you would have a hard time getting it out. I also like NePas's idea of rolling them into giant fatties wrapped in plastic wrap then frozen. Run them through the slicer after they are frozen and you have jerky medallions.

My slicer is a 7.5" WaringPro Professional. It's not much of a slicer but does everthing I want it to. I was surprised how easily it sliced the frozen ground beef. Stargazer mentioned to not let it go any longer than 24 hours in the freezer. Mine were in about 15 hours.

Mike

FLBentRider

Mike,
When you dry jerky in the 80L do you use the screens or just put it on the racks ?

If you don't use the screens how messy do the racks get ?

I've been using the screens on the racks and the screens are a little unwieldy to clean.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Stargazer on March 07, 2009, 09:10:39 PM
Oh WOW Mr Walleye, you nailed it. That is exactly on the money :D

Now I'm gonna have to do up a big batch real soon myself. That come out looking real good.

May I ask please, I currently own a super cheap round dehydrator, doesn't even have a heat control. Only an on/off switch so I am left up to eye balling my jerky until its done.

I plan on getting a dehydrator where I can set the heat, looking at one like yours actually. May I ask please about your heat and time for the jerky?

Very happy you liked this method. Makes a bunch and saves the wrists so you can enjoy your jerky and use your hands for other things when done, such as holding a beer with one and the remote for tv with the other :D

Stargazer

Mine is the 80L Cabelas Commercial Dehydrator. I am real happy with it. On this load I had it stuffed, about 20 lbs. It has a digital timer and thermostat. The timer is adjustable to 24 hours and the thermostat is adjustable to 160 degrees in 5 degree increments. It has a 1600 watt element and also has a blower. The Cabelas unit is a more expensive unit but in my opinion it's worth it, certainly the best one I've ever owned.

With the big load I had in it and given the fact the slices were frozen when I put them in it did take a while for it to get the temp up to the 150 degrees that I set it at. I think my overall time was around 5 hours or there abouts. When I'm doing jerky I just throw it in the dehydrator and go about my other chores, then I just check on things every hour or so. Of course there are always those pieces that just seem to... ahhh... require a taste @nalysis, this usually leads to further required visits to the dehydrator to ensure proper production.  :D

Mike

Mr Walleye

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 08, 2009, 10:28:36 AM
Mike,
When you dry jerky in the 80L do you use the screens or just put it on the racks ?

If you don't use the screens how messy do the racks get ?

I've been using the screens on the racks and the screens are a little unwieldy to clean.

I just use the racks from the dehydrator (no screens). I have never had a problem with anything really sticking much on them. I have a big laundry tub in my furnace room that I use for cleaning/soaking racks etc. I just throw them in there with soap and hot water, then come back in an hour or so. They usually just wipe off.

Mike

FLBentRider

They are a little unweildy in the kitchen sink, it's been a while since I've been able to find the laundry sink. I'll have to dig it out.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 08, 2009, 12:56:45 PM
They are a little unweildy in the kitchen sink, it's been a while since I've been able to find the laundry sink. I'll have to dig it out.

Or... do the laundry.  :D  :D  :D

I just cleaned the racks this morning. Soaked them for an hour and wiped of with a sponge. The racks are the non-stick variety so I don't think you want to use anything to abrasive on them.

Mike