Smoked turkey stock and gumbo

Started by KyNola, December 29, 2009, 08:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

I wish we could get decent okra in these parts - I have to settle for frozen.
Happy Grilling!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: CB on December 29, 2009, 07:11:43 PM
As long as it's not hijacking - I saved up two smoked turkey carcasses and made some deeply rich stock as well. Some went into this navy bean soup into which I also added some smoked pork belly that I'd vacu-sealed and froze in late October.  

This pix is a container ready for the fridge on top of which I add a tsp or so of freshly chopped parsley, a tsp of minced garlic and top that off with kalamata olive oil - that kinda seals it all in nicely. When I open these containers the fragrance of that garlic, parsley and smokey soup is too much!  But now --- I have an idea for using the remainder for Gumbo - thanks for the post!

Good to see you postin CB. Looks and sounds good!

hal4uk

Howdy CB!

(just hijackin' till Larry gets back from da kitchen)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Ka Honu

You guys who save turkey carcasses in the freezer for stock must have a lot more freezer space than I do.  I almost always roast the carcass and start my stock right after the dishes are in the dishwasher (next day at the latest).  Plastic bags of frozen stock are much smaller than poultry carcasses and have the advantage of being ready when I want them, usually for gumbo or the next turkey's gravy (or occasionally collard greens).

I'm not sure where I learned to make roux but I've always had great luck using a cast iron skillet and a roux whisk (flat rather than round - much easier than either a "standard" whisk or a wooden spoon).  Must have been watching Justin Wilson or somebody because my mother never made one in her life.  Haven't burned one yet (knock wood) and usually go for a pretty dark chocolate for gumbo. On the rare occasions when I make seafood gumbo, I go lighter.

I make a pot of gumbo about once a month (using the 10-12 pounds of Wayne Jacobs or Cochon andouille I bring back from NOLA every year).  Don't think I've ever made it quite the same way twice but it always turns out well (the wine in both the pot and my glass doesn't hurt - thanks again to Justin for that hint).  It confuses SWMBO because she never knows exactly what it's going to be but she always loves it so I get to make it whenever I want to.

classicrockgriller

Ka Honu, sure would like to see some pics of your smokes/food making skills.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 29, 2009, 07:46:08 PM
You guys who save turkey carcasses in the freezer for stock must have a lot more freezer space than I do.  I almost always roast the carcass and start my stock right after the dishes are in the dishwasher (next day at the latest).  Plastic bags of frozen stock are much smaller than poultry carcasses and have the advantage of being ready when I want them, usually for gumbo or the next turkey's gravy (or occasionally collard greens).

I'm not sure where I learned to make roux but I've always had great luck using a cast iron skillet and a roux whisk (flat rather than round - much easier than either a "standard" whisk or a wooden spoon).  Must have been watching Justin Wilson or somebody because my mother never made one in her life.  Haven't burned one yet (knock wood) and usually go for a pretty dark chocolate for gumbo. On the rare occasions when I make seafood gumbo, I go lighter.

I make a pot of gumbo about once a month (using the 10-12 pounds of Wayne Jacobs or Cochon andouille I bring back from NOLA every year).  Don't think I've ever made it quite the same way twice but it always turns out well (the wine in both the pot and my glass doesn't hurt - thanks again to Justin for that hint).  It confuses SWMBO because she never knows exactly what it's going to be but she always loves it so I get to make it whenever I want to.

Where can you get a roux whisk?

All of mine are rounded and yours sounds like a good idea!
HawkeyeSmokes

Ka Honu

Hawk - Can't remember where I got mine but Amazon has one here.

CRG - Good point.  I'm not much of a photographer and haven't posted pics in a while but the most recent ones are here, here, and here.  I'll try to do better (if I can only remember to charge the battery in the camera and keep it where I can find it).

classicrockgriller

Ahhh, I was talking about traditional Hawaiian food! But thanks for the refresher course.

Ka Honu

Sorry... misunderstood.  I don't make much "traditional Hawaiian food" but do have a couple of adaptations I'll try to document as I get to them.  I think the only one I've actually taken pics of was a post on oven Kalua turkey in "that other forum" (here).

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 29, 2009, 09:26:24 PM
Sorry... misunderstood.  I don't make much "traditional Hawaiian food" but do have a couple of adaptations I'll try to document as I get to them.  I think the only one I've actually taken pics of was a post on oven Kalua turkey in "that other forum" (here).

Why didn't you post that here for "US". That looks good and I have access to Banana leaves.

Ka Honu

Mea culpa.  Actually I hadn't thought of posting it at all until CB asked as part of a "regional holiday menu" thing he was doing for his Sizzle-on-the-Grill newsletter. The rest of the article is here.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 29, 2009, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: Ka Honu on December 29, 2009, 09:26:24 PM

Why didn't you post that here for "US". That looks good and I have access to Banana leaves.

I'm really digging that turkey...    Could it be done in the Bradley? (leave the foil off)

Or 2 hours of smoke in the Bradley, then (carefully) foiled and into the 250* oven until complete?

pensrock

QuoteSorry, way more than you wanted to know about rouxs.

NP Kynola, I love to learn about cooking. I think the roux I always made was between the light and peanut butter color. Next time I'll shoot for the chocolate colored. Thanks.

Ka Honu

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 30, 2009, 05:47:27 AM
I'm really digging that turkey...    Could it be done in the Bradley? (leave the foil off)

Or 2 hours of smoke in the Bradley, then (carefully) foiled and into the 250* oven until complete?

I guess you could smoke and then finish in the oven but I'm not sure if there'd be that much "value added."  

I've always looked at this as a simple, one-step, set-and-forget process which sort of mimics the traditional Hawaiian method:
    - Dig a pit
    - Line it with hot stones
    - Throw in a bunch of food wrapped in leaves
    - Cover it up
    - Go to the beach  
    - Come back later
    - Dig it up
    - Eat

squirtthecat

Thanks KH.

Sorry for the detour, Larry!