Condensation ruining my pucks...

Started by bcbobster, April 06, 2006, 01:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcbobster

I smoke during the winter, and I get condensation to the point that the pucks get soft/wet and then they crumlbe and jam...

What can I do to stop this problem...

iceman

Howdy bcbobster. I do a lot of smoking in the winter also and have never had that problem. I do however keep the pucks in the pantry at a stable warm temperature with very low humidity. It's very important to keep them from absorbing excess moisture from the air. Hope this sheds some light on the problem. ;)

bcbobster

Nope, the condensation is when I'm smoking only... Is it because I like to keep the top vent totally closed???

I smoke pork roasts, takes about 5 hours to finish....

Habanero Smoker

I live in the North East, and I never had this problem when I smoke during the winter months.

Sorry! I don't quite understand the problem. Does the problem occur during the time you are smoking, or is the condensation a problem on how you are storing the pucks?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bcbobster

In the smoking process only...  The pucks are stored in my house, dry as a bone... But the heat builds up, I get condensation forming at the stack/heater area, and then the pucks seem to absorb the moisture and break up....

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bcbobster on April 06, 2006, 01:41:13 PM
Nope, the condensation is when I'm smoking only... Is it because I like to keep the top vent totally closed???

I smoke pork roasts, takes about 5 hours to finish....
I believe that is the cause of your problem. Not only moisture but smoke is backing out through your generator. This can cause serious problems, if you have smoke residue and moisture building up in your generator. Also with your pucks crumbling, you probably have a lot of wood chips in your generator housing, that plus the moisture that they absorb will cause corrosion and maybe eventually you could have an electrical short.

Keep your vent open at least far enough so that you do not see any smoke coming out from where the generator goes into the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

Bob of Ster,

It would be my some time mis-guided opinion here, you need to open the vent up to at least 1/4.  For a couple of reasons, first is the moisture...leaving the vent closed is not going to help you keep your meat moist. All that moisture from the bowl and product has to go somewhere.  It is not good where the moisture runs out the bottom it can get into the thermostat...it's got to if you have completely closed.  I am sure that the smoke is coming out around the generator and along with that moisture.  For some reason I think you might be getting a mess and start looking like a cookshack smoker.  It is very important to releive the smoker of moisture.  Hope this helps.  Am I off base here?

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

bcbobster

Yes, I will try leaving the vent open abit... I will advise on my next smoke...

BigSmoker

Quote from: bcbobster on April 06, 2006, 02:33:06 PM
Yes, I will try leaving the vent open abit... I will advise on my next smoke...

make sure it is open enough so no smoke is coming back through the smoke generator.  I normally leave mine 1/4 to 1/3 open like MW and Habs said ;).
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

manxman

I go along with what MW, HS and BS said, I am sure this will be the cause of the problem. Particularly inportant are HS's comments about corrosion and electrical problems if too much condensation backs up in the system over time. :o
Manxman

Smokin Joe

I had a similar problem with my Bradley, and it was definitely the vent.  I had the misconception that keeping it closed would condense the smoke giving a stronger flavor, but it didn't really do anything other than make a big ol' mess.

Definitely, without any question, leave your vent open enough to prevent the smoke from backing out through the generator and that should solve your problem.
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

iceman

Quote from: manxman on April 07, 2006, 01:42:03 AM
I go along with what MW, HS and BS said, I am sure this will be the cause of the problem. Particularly inportant are HS's comments about corrosion and electrical problems if too much condensation backs up in the system over time. :o
I have a neighbors smoke generator that is now a pile of unidentifiable goo because of that. Sorry I misunderstood the problem but now that I know the circumstances it all makes sense. These guys are right on the money. John (my neighbor) has toasted two of his smokers because of this. (I think he's trying to support Bradley all by himself)! :D

manxman

QuoteJohn (my neighbor) has toasted two of his smokers because of this.

Perhaps he should be encouraged to post his experiences on the forum, step by step instructions of what not to do!!  ;D
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: manxman on April 07, 2006, 08:48:40 AM
QuoteJohn (my neighbor) has toasted two of his smokers because of this.

Perhaps he should be encouraged to post his experiences on the forum, step by step instructions of what not to do!!  ;D
Right now he's kind of busy writing a book called "How to sink a river boat three times in a row without even trying". :o :D

whitetailfan

Yep MW and Hab got her.  I can't add anything (sorry :'() but wanted to tally another vote of what your problem most likely is.  Crack that vent.  In my early smoking I thought 'what a waste of smoke' when it comes billowing out the top.  But after a bit, I realized that the Bradley produces an amazing amount of smoke, and you are not watching your $$$ go up in smoke, but producing the desired results.  Hard to believe? - try cheese.  Vent wide open for temp control and you absolutely still get the great flavour (here is where I would use the cool green tasty guy).

Not only should this help with your puck problem, but you will cut down on the cabinet condensation as well, where you get the black schag dripping on your meat and then dripping out the door onto your temp slider.  You probably have smoke build up in your gen.  I would not rip it apart unless you are comfortable, but I would give the burner a nice wire brush rub, and blow some forced air through the gen to get rid of wood residue.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.