Christmas Jerky Storage Question

Started by Saber 4, December 09, 2013, 07:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

I've read a bunch of old posts on storing jerky but there wasn't much consensus at the time so I thought I would post my specific needs and see what I get back from everyone.

I've got a batch of whole muscle eye of round beef jerky, marinated with teriyaki and chipotle mustard fusion sauce with cure #1. It got a little more brittle than I intended after I got distracted by other projects. I have it on the pantry shelf in open topped brown sandwich bags at this time. I need to store them until I can take them to the family.

Do I leave them in the bag on the shelf till then, vacuum seal in the paper bag to keep the edges from poking holes in the vac bag, seal in vacuum bags without vacuuming out the air(like store bought), refrigerate or freeze until needed in 2 weeks? Any other un mentioned options???

Tenpoint5

Vac seal in paper bag then toss in fridge
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 09, 2013, 07:20:08 PM
Vac seal in paper bag then toss in fridge

Thanks Chris, should I leave that way to give as gifts or re-bag them in fresh paper bags Christmas Eve? They're going to be small packages for each gift not real big amounts.

Tenpoint5

Wrap in paper towels vac seal and give as gifts
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

I would vac seal them with nothing in the vac bag but the jerky as I have never had anything poke a hole in a vac bag and then I would toss them in the freezer.  By putting in the freezer you extend the shelf life for the person who is going to receive it as a gift.

But that's just me.

tailfeathers

Saber, can you stop the vac process with your sealer? Mine has a "stop and seal" button that cancels vacuuming and seals the package. I would think if you can do it you could get them most of the way vacuumed then seal them up. I know what you are saying, I have had it poke little holes in the bag before when vacuumed to tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Saber 4

Quote from: Quarlow on December 10, 2013, 04:02:38 PM
Just make sure you don't store it like this.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=33898.msg394387#msg394387
:) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)

Fortunately the old basset is to blind and deaf to find it if it isn't thrown on the floor and hits her nose on the way down. ;)

ragweed

Quote from: KyNola on December 10, 2013, 06:55:37 AM
I would vac seal them with nothing in the vac bag but the jerky as I have never had anything poke a hole in a vac bag and then I would toss them in the freezer.  By putting in the freezer you extend the shelf life for the person who is going to receive it as a gift.

But that's just me.

I do it this way too.