pulled pork timing question

Started by icerat4, June 22, 2006, 08:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

Hey guys 3, 8-10 pounders boston butt bone in. placed in  a 4 racker bradley.how long will this take.I have done 1 ,8-10 pounder an that was about 12 .13 hours.Any help here.I did talk to kirk and he gave me  good info  .But i thougt i would get a few more comments.Thanks as always the rat. ;D.Also he said keep the slider heat control all the way to the right the whole time with that much meat.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

irish_smoker

First, I would make sure you have plenty of beer on hand.  Second, kick back and relax with said beer and if anyone bothers you, just tell them your busy cooking.  Depending on the outside air temp, your going to be looking at at least 20-24 hours of cook time.  If you plan to FTC, thats going to add a few more hours as well.

The rule of thumb that I've seen on here alot is 1-1.5 hours per pound.

icerat4

I dont think thats right.1 8-10 pounder would be 12-13 hours.I was told it would be about 16 -17 hours.for the other 2 butts doing them at the same time. i do have 2 bs units .should i put 2 in one bs and the other 1 in the other bs.seprate them or will it not matter that much.

Habanero Smoker

The most I have done at one time was two 7 pounders. I kept the cabinet temp no higher then 200F. That smoke took 16 hours. The weather cooperated also, so it was a fine day to get some smoking done.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oyènkwara

I recently smoked 6 butts (total of 41.50 pounds) for my son's college graduation party. The top rack and bottom rack finished first and the center rack needed a couple extra hours cooking time. The top and bottom rack were touching the center rack so I think it slowed the cooking on the two center pieces. I was shooting for an internal temp of 185F. (with plenty of FTC time) I kept the slider all the way right (but had the help of the Love's Temp Controller, thanks to all the forum members!) It took a total of 24 hours to cook these butt's, but they were ohhhhhhh so good!

By the way, I cooked these a week ahead of time. Pulled them and froze them in the large sized vacuum bags. When we were ready for them, we put the bag in boiling water until the meat was hot. (also a suggestion of forum members)

Tom

icerat4

well looks like ill have both smokers running. 2 in one bs. and 1 in the other these have to be done in 15 hours tops. so seprating them will help me out a bunch.I am glad i have 2 bs machines in this case. ;D ill give ya my results saturday when there done and there in the ftc mode.Thanks guys. ;)

BigSmoker

bone them out and inject them and they will finish much quicker if your pressed for time
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

icerat4

well with my 2 bs dont ya think that will do it.should be no longer than 15 hours with the 2 butts in that one.i know the other 1 butt will finish first.And thats ok.Its going to be the other 2 butts  i am worried about.1 butt in a bradley at 215-220 weighing at 8-10 lbs is just about 13 hours or so.I am starting them at 5pm and smoke only 4.5 hours.The rest is just cook time so i should be ok.Right guiys lol; ;D

asa

icerat: I'll chime in with a minority report. As I've discussed elsewhere here, I would smoke all 3 in one BS for 4 hours, then take them out and put them in my turkey roaster covered with aluminum foil in the oven splashed with a little of my vinegar-based sauce and with a temp probe in one of them, set it at about 185 or so, clean up the BS, go to out to dinner and a movie, then home to bed checking the temp, and when the internal temp gets up to 170 or so, turn the oven down to about that, have a drink, go to bed, and then pull or chop it the next morning. I find that separating the smoking from the cooking seems to be easier (for me) and gives the added bonus of being able to collect drippings, which you can pour off and defat in the fridge, then pour back at the rate of about 1 cup per shoulder's worth of pulled or chopped BBQ. This gives a tremendous enhancement to the flavor. I actually am ahead on this stuff (variously called heavenly glorious goop or BBQ stock) and have several cups of it in my fridge in a FoodSaver vacuum sealed container. Or you can monitor it all the way in the BS and FTC. I think that holding it overnight at this temp allows the fat and connective tissue to render well, giving a succulent product.
Good luck.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

icerat4

well i am going to give that a try.but you say cover the pork with foil while in the oven.Is that correct.why not leave it open like in the bradley with nothing covering it.Is there a differnce.Anyone one on  this way of doing it.I have 3. 7 pounders so a total of 21 -22 pounds if done in the oven like this how long will they take.please give me a time and rate of temps i can go to on this .they need to be done by saturday at about 3pm.

asa

Yes, I cover them to keep them moist, ie., to keep them from drying out. For 3pm tomorrow, I'd smoke them tonight for 4 hrs, then put them in the oven, clean up, and get a good night's sleep. Check temps before you go to bed and in the am. My oven does do a pretty good job of holding a fairly constant temp, so I'm happy to let it do its thing while I do other things.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
     And

icerat4

Well my way the shorter version.I did 3,7 pounders this weekend.ready here we go.I slathered yellow mustard on the pork then rubbed the pork down then wrapped them in cling wrap then they went into the fridge until.FRIDAY at 330pm i took them out of the fridge Unwrapped them and put more rub on them.Then at 5pm i just put them in the bs with no preheat deal i figure what the heck lets try this with no preheat.I set the slider heat all the way high the whole time.Set the pork in fat side up and got the bs rolling.At the 3 hour mark it was water time so i changed that out.Every once in the while i would spray apple juice on them.Saturday morning at 7 am the bottom one was done at 195 .the second one was done at 9am and the thrid one was 195 at the 12pm .I did ftc the first 2 butts the thrid on i just wrapped and let it sit.No rotating no preheating.These 3 came out great 195 temp is alot better then 185. Do your next ones at that temp you will see a differnce.Its only 10 degrees but it does more inside at that point.SO total time19 hours 3 butts like butter What a crowd pleaser everyone loved it I would like to thank kirk at chez bubba for his butt insight lol .thanks kirk.   

asa

icerat: Glad you had good success. I apologize for not answering you back friday am, but I didn't check my email or the forum till that evening. so, i'm interested - did you leave the heater on high (all the way to the right) overnight? And if so, how high did the smoker air temp get, say in the am when you started taking them out?

Regards,
     Art
     And

icerat4

yes i did leave it all the way to the right on full power.and the temps stayed right were they needed to be.About 215 or so.It was a beautiful thing.I am doing the same deal this weekend again.

irish_smoker

QuoteI dont think thats right.

So the 20 hour estimate was pretty darn close, glad it all worked out for you ice....have a good holiday weekend.