Venison Snack Sticks

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 21, 2009, 09:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I also have 7lbs of venison to grind up for some snack sticks. Going to cut 2lbs of pork in with it. Maybe going with a mild stick this time. Stuffing into 19mm collagen casings.

nepas

pensrock

Man you sure make a ton of snack sticks.  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on February 21, 2009, 09:49:21 AM
Man you sure make a ton of snack sticks.  ;D

Between me, wife, sons, neighbor and a guy at my wife's work. Yeah

I ship 10lbs of jerky and sticks to FT BRAGG every month 5lbs each to the 2 sons.

nepas

pensrock

QuoteI ship 10lbs of jerky and sticks to FT BRAGG every month 5lbs each to the 2 sons.

I bet the love getting those packages each month! They are lucky to have such a great dad.

josbocc

NePas,

QuoteI ship 10lbs of jerky and sticks to FT BRAGG every month

As a former "Weekend Warrior" just wanted to say THANKS for looking out for our troops.  Whether those soldiers are your own, or someone else's, it still means a lot.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: josbocc on February 21, 2009, 11:39:33 AM
NePas,

QuoteI ship 10lbs of jerky and sticks to FT BRAGG every month

As a former "Weekend Warrior" just wanted to say THANKS for looking out for our troops.  Whether those soldiers are your own, or someone else's, it still means a lot.

Jeff

Thanks

We got 4 in the Us Army. 2 sons at Bragg

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here is the venison all ground up. Its 7lbs venison cut with 3lbs pork butt. Going to let it rest for an hour before mixing in the seasonings.

What I am going to do is stuff 5lbs today, and fridge the other 5 for later in the week. Maybe do a different flavor.

nepas

pensrock

Do you ever mix the seasonings with the cut up meat before grinding? My grandfather used to work at a butcher shop and he said that is how they always made their sausage. I normally do this also unless using already ground up meats. I'm guessing here but think it may help with the mixing of the spices into the meats.  ???

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on February 22, 2009, 10:32:57 AM
Do you ever mix the seasonings with the cut up meat before grinding? My grandfather used to work at a butcher shop and he said that is how they always made their sausage. I normally do this also unless using already ground up meats. I'm guessing here but think it may help with the mixing of the spices into the meats.  ???

After i mix the seasoning with the first grind, I regrind it again through the medium plate. If i want it with a tang i mix in by hand the encapsulated citric acid. Never grind with the encapsulated CA already in the meat.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Have 5 lbs al stuffed and ready for smoke tomorrow  ;D Going to use the new programmable PID again.

nepas

FLBentRider

What accounts for the difference in color, the casings ?

What do you do with all the snack sticks you make ? Freeze ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: FLBentRider on February 22, 2009, 12:14:10 PM
What accounts for the difference in color, the casings ?

What do you do with all the snack sticks you make ? Freeze ?

The smoked color casings can be stuffed just a tad tighter than the clear.

When i do a large amount of sticks i send some to the sons and my neighbor buys some from me. The rest we eat or freeze.

nepas

josbocc

NePas,

They look great!!!  Do you hang your sticks from dowels, or lie them on the trays?  Also, what is your referred device for stuffing?  I've used my jerky cannon, and my small electric grinder with stuffing plate, and neither one is easy.  Just ordered a LEM 5lb. stuffer, and hope I didn't make a mistake.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Smoked

Quote from: josbocc on February 22, 2009, 01:47:03 PM
NePas,

They look great!!!  Do you hang your sticks from dowels, or lie them on the trays?  Also, what is your referred device for stuffing?  I've used my jerky cannon, and my small electric grinder with stuffing plate, and neither one is easy.  Just ordered a LEM 5lb. stuffer, and hope I didn't make a mistake.
Jeff

Jeff- I have a 5# stuffer from LEM and found it to be perfect for making sticks and links. Just make sure you get the right stuffing tube to handle the 19mm (or so) casings- I think I have a 3/8" or so...

Ed

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: josbocc on February 22, 2009, 01:47:03 PM
NePas,

Jeff

Thanks

I use a 5 lb stuffer with a 3/8" SS tube. Here is the link  for a pic of my stuffer. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9375.0

nepas