First Picnic

Started by JohnM70, June 20, 2014, 10:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM70

Hi all it has been a while since I have been on the forum. I can't believe I have not smoked anything since April.  We have a graduation ceremony on Saturday and a Party on Sunday. I decided to smoke a Pork butt but my neighbor who works for a packing plant provided a picnic about 10lbs.  I had never smoked a picnic before so I decided to use my tired and true modified Jane's Rub. Modified only because my wife and I never mix the same thing every time (makes life interesting).   I removed the fat cap and put it on the top rack. I smoked for 4 hours alternating Hickory and Oak... Actually it was 3hrs and 40mins! Don't ask :-X.

I set the Auber temp to 220 and the time at 20 hrs. This is the first time I have smoked where the temp was above 80 degrees. I decided to add an additional temp probe and use my Maverick to monitor the box temp. I wanted to see the difference between the Auber and Maverick. At times there was a 25 degree difference but I let the Auber run the show. As you will see the Maverick  probe was close to the oven wall and the Auber probe was in the center above the meat.

I did not realize how large the fat cap was. it was removed and put on the top rack

Ready for the rub.

A little moussakas

The fat cap

Ready to go. left arrow is Auber probe right arrow is the Maverick probe.

Started at 13:30 at 23:30 looking good.

finished this morning at 05:30

After FTC'ing for 2.5 hrs I tried our new roman port puller was that fast and uniform. Right now it is in the fridge until Sunday. Then into the slow cooker to warm up with some apple juice. I am not sure if it was me or the picnic is a little dryer than a pork butt. The taste is great.. I will post a picture before the hordes descend ;D If I am lucky some will think it is too spicy and I will have a lot leftover ;D

Also, I did not realize how big the bone is in a picnic.

BTW bragging rights. Our son is graduating with honors (4.0) with a degree in IT; our oldest grand daughter is graduating Magna cum laud with a degree in Marketing and Fashion Design (3.8, did not like macro economics). Our oldest grandson graduated high school with honors (3.8)  and is off to college seeking a degree in Bio-engineering.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

waycoolcat

It looks like you did a great job with the picnic. I hope you have a great day for the graduation party, congratulations!
I want to be a better carnivore!

Habanero Smoker

Congratulations on your son and grandson's graduation. The picnic cut is leaner, and has less tough connective tissue, so it will seem drier than the butt, but many members have substituted them successfully in place of the butt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

Congrats to your kids for their efforts and your picnic looks great.

JohnM70

Thanks Hab, I thought that was the issue but since I am a neophyte at this and the Picnic was priced right  ;D I decided why not. I am sure with the apple juice and different barbeque sauces it will turn out OK.
Thanks again.
J
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

JohnM70

A big thank you to Saber and waycoolcat.
J

KyNola

Very nicely done!  Nothing more need be said.