• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First chichen wings

Started by drano, April 25, 2009, 08:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano

I tried a small batch of wings today.  Turned out great.
I sprinkled some Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub from the Smoke & Spice book on them, and put them in the fridge over night. 
Auber PID set to 240 deg, and used 3 maple and 2 pecan pucks. 
In 2 hours, the Thermopen said they were at 170 deg. 
Made for a great lunch! 
I've got another batch in the fridge tonight that I'll smoke Sunday afternoon for dinner w/ some friends. 
Quick, easy, and tasty--my kind of meal!
Here's a pic

get smokin
drano

smokeitall

Those look great Drano, I hope to make my first batch soon.

starship

Wow, I love wings, but never dreamed of doing them in my Bradley.  This is a must do for me!
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

Tenpoint5

I'll take an order of 12. They look PDG!! and I'm not a fan of Yardbird.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

drano

Thanks guys.
I've got the second batch on now, and using apple this time.
I had 4 left over from yesterday, and even after microwaving for reheat, they still tasted great. 
I'm sure there's lots of ways to do wings, but the pork butt rub is easy (and was in the fridge) and it adds just a touch of kick to them.  I'm sure some of you can mix up a hot rub to warm them up if thats to your liking. 
10.5, you can have the whole tray--just right click, save as, and they're yours ;D.

drano

bflosmoke

drano

bflosmoke,
The skin is not chewey--I'd say its just shy of being crispy.  But its not rubbery either. 
I'd guess the 240 deg smoker setting, and taking the wings to 170 deg internal temp is enough to get the skin past rubbery. 
I took the second batch to dinner w/ some friends tonight--got lots of complements, and they didn't last long :).  I used apple wood on them, and I liked them better than the maple/pecan I made yesterday. 

give them a try.  I think the 240 smoker is the way to go.  I'm sure there are other ideas out there too. 

get smokin
drano

Smokin Soon

If you are a wing lover as I and my friends are, consider the Big Easy for the best smoked wings you have ever had. That final finish makes the difference on poultry. The taste is much better when the skin can fire off properly to get the small black spots showing. Kinda like sear marks in a steak for us poor folks. You would also be amazed at how much fat comes out during the final crisping after a smoke.