• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Birthday Party / Pulled Pork serving question

Started by matwell, June 08, 2009, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matwell

Hello Everyone,

I am hosting my daughters second birthday on Sat and I plan on having burgers, hot dogs, barbecue chicken and of course 2 pulled pork butts. I was thinking about finishing the butts on Friday, pulling them and storing them overnight not sauced in a aluminum pan in the refrigerator. On Saturday, I was going to set up sternos for reheating the chicken and pulled pork. My plan is to not sauce the pork and let people choose between barbecue and a mustard vinegar sauce. I am certainly open to suggestions about this method, but if I do it this way how do I keep the pork moist in the pan. My thoughts were maybe adding some cider vinegar to the bottom of the pan and tossing every once in a while or should I make two seperate pans and premix one ith barbecue sauce and the other with the mustard sauce. Lastly, I do have a crockpot I could use for reheating as well. If I am completely off base and should use an entirely different method let me know. Thanks for your input.

Wildcat

I like reheating in the crock.  A little apple juice for moisture and your set.

Another method I like is store after vac sealing.  Then simply heat in hot (but not boiling) water.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

OU812

matwell

I have used a splash of apple juice in the crock pot with great success. It does keep everything moist just don't add to much.

Caneyscud

If the crockpot can't hold the 2 butts worth of meat entirely, do reheat the meat in the oven in the aluminum pan - then put in the sterno warming stand.  When reheating, make sure you seal foil over the pan very well, and splash with one or more of the following (or anything else you can think of):  a little pan/roasting juices (best), AJ, Vinegar, broth, Dale's or Moore's sauce, a few pats of butter or just a few slices of apple or some such fruit - for additional moisture.  The additional moisture is probably not "needed" as the meat probably has plenty of moisture left, but it does give peace of mind without harming anything. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

matwell

Thanks for your input, but I do have a few more questions. Lets say I have a 7 quart crockpot how much is a splash of aj, vinegar etc needed if I filled the crock pot up with pulled pork. Is a quarter cup too much? Should there be any liquid visible in the bottom of the pan or is it just enough to where the pork looks wet? What would be the best setting for reheating in a crock pot warm or low?  How long should i keep it in the crockpot reheating before it is safe to serve the guest?

Also, if I go with chafing dishes and sternos should i reheat from the refigerator from start to finish with the sternos or use the oven first and sternos to maintain temp after? How long does it take to reheat anything using sternos? I was figuring about 1 hour. Last but not least how much water / inches  goes in the bottom of the chafing dish pan?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure I ahve everything in order ahead of time. I have never really served this many people in an outdoor setting where I set up a buffet table. I am doing it in the backyard and am having about 50 friends and family. My wife feels I am going over board with the amount of people, but i figured hey it is just another barbecue. We are outside where there is plenty of room and what does it matter if there is 50 or 10. Anyway, long story short I definitely do not want to screw up the food end of things and hear an I told you so. Thanks again!

matwell

After reading again the responses I realized caneyscud answered my question about reheating in the oven and then using the sternos. Thanks

OU812

A splash is just enough to make the pork or whatever look wet no need to have it standing in the bottom of the pot. When reheating whatever keep the stuff covered tightly so you don't loose any moisture. In the crock pot start with low then when up to temp switch to warm. If you have a roaster oven that works to. As far as having the party out side I would suggest having the grub in shelter like the garage or something out like that. As far as the chafing pan goes start off with boiling water just about touching the top pan.

bsheger

I have my sons graduation party coming up this weekend and have done 12 butts over the last 1 1/2 weeks.  after pulling the pork I bagged and froze it.  I also saved some of the drippings out of the last batch of butts, strained the grease off, and will use it as needed to keep the meat moist thru out the eating period.  I have done this in the past and it has worked very well. 

I will also be doing 30 slabs of babybacks on party day, but will not be using the badley for those.  These Indiana folks are gonna get a real BBQ.

Caneyscud

I forgot to mention it - I know your son very well, but I didn't get an invite.  Can I still come and partake?  That sounds too good to pass up!!  ;D
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

bsheger

lol......the buzz is already going around school.  I just hope I have enough food for everyone.  I think I 'm going to end up doing 40 lbs of wings also.  Just to make sure.