• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Boating and FTC

Started by Blue Legend, July 13, 2009, 08:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Legend

Hey guys, brisket is not something we eat much of here, but looks like a delicacy there. I have been reading a lot about how you guys do brisket and often reading about boating and FTC.  Can someone please explain what boating is and what does FTC stand for. And bark?? i presume would be the tough exterior surface when done?? (Dumb ole kiwis huh??)

Cheers
Richard

Gizmo

Boating is putting the meat in a foil pan, usually a little liquid to keep the bottom from burning and can add a little moisture, then putting a foil lid over the top and back into the smoker box (with no smoke) or the oven until the meat reaches the proper internal temperature.  You can do the same after the meat reaches the appropriate internal temperature and just allow it to stay warm and keep the moisture in while it rests.  FTC is a similar process usually done after the meat is at temperature.  Double wrap in Foil.  Wrap in an old Towel, and place in a Cooler.  Best if you put hot water into the cooler for 1/2 hour first to pre-warm the inside of the cooler, then dump out and put the foil and towel wrapped meat in.  Will stay hot for several hours. 
Bark is the crusty outside of the meat from long time exposure to the heat combined with the rubs and juices from the meat.  Some like a super thick bark and other like less as it can be tough and heavy with flavor.  You may see references to "Burnt Ends" as well.  Many will chop up the bark and mix in with the rest of the meat to give the meat more flavor. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Blue Legend

Thanks Gizmo, so placing it in a cooler is placing in a fridge??

Ka Honu

By "cooler" he means an insulated container (like you'd take beer in to the beach or use for ice or fish on a boat).  You can also put the package in a microwave oven (turned off) - the object is using the insulation to keep the meat warm while it rests for a few hours.

mikeradio

A cooler is a chilly bin , I have a uncle that lives in NZ and they call a cooler a chilly bin

Mike

jha1223

As a fairly new member to the site and a new student of smoking foods, I must strongly suggest using both of these methods if at all possible.

Boating has reaped great results for me when doing brisket and ribs.  The "leftover" juices from boating the brisket have been a great base for the sauces I've made.  I also boated the pork loin I did for a bit and was very pleased with the results.  

FTC is a brilliant and amazing process.  It takes very little effort, but the results are well worth it.   The method is as simple as Giz pointed out.  For a frame of reference, I put three full briskets in a cooler at 10am and I pulled the last one from the cooler to slice it at 5pm and it was still hot enough to serve.  Also, may go without saying, but the more you have in the cooler, the longer it keeps.  I've used it for as little as two racks of ribs and up to 4 briskets ( i could have fit more, but didn't need to).  
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

mikecorn.1

Hello there Blue Legend. I also asked many question here.  Look at these pics of what FTC and Boating are. These are mine.

Boating
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/mikecorn_1/Michael%20Smoking%20Meats/DSC00795.jpg[/img]]

FTC
[url][/url]
Mike

Blue Legend

Thanks Mike, must have a go at doing brisket soon, should be a breeze with all the help from here ;D

mikecorn.1

No prob. I see some senior members ofter place pics to help visualize something. I thought i might give it a try. Keep asking. Also you can search older threads in the various categories using keywords.  8)
Mike

lumpy

Last pork I smoked (shoulders) I smoked the night through and FTC'd at 8AM. I expected to be home in a few hours but turned out that I got home at 5PM.
Meat was still very warm and have to admit, it was the best pork I have ever pulled.

Lumpy

pensrock

I normally stop smoking/cooking butt at 195 IT then ftc for a couple hours. I think next time I'll put into ftc at 185-190 to see if it makes a difference.