• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Loin and Country Style Ribs - Help

Started by Indy, February 13, 2005, 04:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indy

I'm trying out the Bradley on a whole pork loin, as well as some country style ribs (shoulder). I put on a pork rub from Jamison's "Smoke and Spice" bagged it and let it sit in the fridge over night. Now I've got them both in the smoker on about 200 with 4 hours of Hickory pucks. Any recommendations on techniques, how long to leave each in, or mops?

Thanks!

owrstrich

mickis favorite smoked meat is the porkloin... now everytime i smoke i gotts to do a porkloin for her...

i found that trimming the fat very thin works well because that porkloin fat is some weird stuff... the usual wash dry rub fridge stuff is necessary... i dont do any mopping...

concerning the temp... i usually smoke between 200 and 210 with 4hrs of hickory to 155 internal...

i have ftc the loin at 150 internal... seems like it needed more time... i have ftc the loin at 160 internal... seems like it was in a little too long... so... i have been ftc at 155 and all has been wonderful...

i have left the 155 loins in the ftc from 2 to 6 hours and had awesome loins everytime...

did i mention that ftc really freaks me out...

without prejudice...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

jaeger

Indy,
  I would not use a mop on the pork. The Bradley will keep the meat moist and every time you open the door you will lose heat in the cabinet and the internal temp will drop. It will cost you about 30 - 40 minutes to recover. If you really want a mop I would wait until you reach your desired internal temp and then put on mop and let it warm up.

We always use any leftover pork, slice thin, add BBQ sauce and warm up the following day.This is one of our favorites for feeding large groups of people. Then on the day of the feast, we use the Bradley to warm up Bratwurst and Natural Casing wieners. The extra smoke and slow warm up time do wonders!

Have fun and enjoy!!!  [:D][:p][:)]

Doug

Indy

Thanks, I agree with the 160 temp. The meat came out excellent, and got rave reviews from my wife's "Hen Party" attendees, but I thought that a few degrees cooler might have made it a bit juicier. The temp hung in the 150's over an hour! Next time I'm taking it off in the early to mid 150's.

All in all though, 220 for about 5 1/2 hours (4 hours with Hickory) and FTC and thin slicing and this was an awesome experience. I put out barbeque sauce and it was good enough that no one even used it!

The country style ribs went well also. It really is amazing what a little time resting will do. It was without question more tender after about 45 minutes covered with foil (I put in the oven on warm).