• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

ABT's & Chicken

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, August 22, 2009, 04:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGW

I saw this the other day.....gave me a hankering for some chicken and ABT's - Thank you for the inspiration.

I brined my chicken as well.  Used whole chickens, halved. Here's one rack just after brining (1 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 TBS paprika, 1 TBS pepper).

Feeling lazy, I used Cavenders greek seasoning on the chickens.  Here they are before I put them in.

Set the chicken out on the counter, put the smoker on high, and loaded 6 Maples in the stack O smoke.  I let them go for two hours, and put the ABT's on (had to get SOME smoke on em).  Took chickens out at 3 hours and 45 minutes and let them rest, topped with foil.

End result was most excellent - even my little one had an ABT (normally won't touch one).

I was concerned about the chicken drying out, but it came out very juicy.

Mr Walleye

Looks excellent JGW!

Your flying out of the gate!  ;)

Good luck with the Throw Down.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

westexasmoker

To heck with the Throw Down!  That looks most excellent!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: JGW on September 04, 2009, 09:28:47 PM
I was concerned about the chicken drying out, but it came out very juicy.

Looks great JGW. I think that brining really helps to keep the moisture in. I've been doing this for years when grilling after seeing it on America's Test Kitchen . Have used it on chicken, turkey and pork (brined pork chops are excellent) with good results.
HawkeyeSmokes

JGW

I agree - brining makes a big difference.  I normally fry turkeys, but I have smoked them on occasion.  I might need to "investigate" this brining of pork chops  :D

HawkeyeSmokes

Here's a link to the guide I use for brining meats for grilling and have started using it for smoking to to.
Brining Meats
HawkeyeSmokes