• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

newbee having problems with new smoker

Started by moresmoke, August 27, 2009, 06:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moresmoke

Hi all

I got a digital 4 rack unit a few weeks back and can't seem to get this thing to heat up. I came home to check on my 5 racks of ribs about 4 hours after starting it and found the temperature at a measly 115 degrees. I had it set for 220. I looked inside and the heating unit wasn't even on (not red), so I assume just the smoking element was heating the unit. I unplugged it, checked the various cord connections and started it up again and then the element got red, but after several hours, the readout still didn't get any higher than 205 and took forever to get there. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Am I doing something wrong? Do I have a faulty smoker and need to take it back? Thanks for any advise.

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi moresmoke,

I think you have solved your problem by unplugging and plugging the cords back in. It may have been a bad connection from the smoke generator to the tower. With 5 racks of ribs in there, it will take a while to go from 115 to 205. Did you preheat before starting to smoke the ribs? I like to go to at least 250 before loading the smoker. Hope this helps a bit and welcome to the forum. And keep that top vent open!
HawkeyeSmokes

moresmoke

Yes, but even when the heating element started working, it took 3 hours for the heat to get up to 212 when I had it set at 220. Doesn't that seem like an excessively long amount of time? Also, when I took the ribs out, the ribs on the bottom rack were considerably warmer than the top. If the heat distribution is that uneven, coupled with the long delay in warming up as stated before, then I'm not sure I bought the right smoker. I guess if I only smoked 2 or 3 racks of ribs I would probably do better, but to me it seems like a shame to go through that whole process if I can only do a few racks of ribs at a time. Any more input here would be greatly appreciated. I can still return this smoker if I need to, so I'm trying to sort through these issues while I'm still in my "return" period.

Thanks

pensrock

It will preheat much faster without anything on the racks, I always preheat to 25-50 hotter than I plan to smoke/cook at. If I want 200 I preheat to 225-250 for a good 1/2 hour or more, then load the tower. It will drop a lot but then slowly climb back up to temp. Also keep the top vent 1/2 to full open so you do not trap moisture inside or stop the flow of heat/smoke up through the product. It is also a good idea to rotate the racks from top to bottom and front to back every hour or so, this will help even out the cooking. It takes a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it, you will be fine.

westexasmoker

Hi, Moresmoke!

The Bradley is a bit different than most smokers...Once ya load it up with meat, it takes a good while to recover the temp...some use bricks in the bottom to overcome that, which I have one.  But loaded with 30-40 lbs. brisket mine will take a good 6-8 hours before I'm back up to temp (220).  Keep in mind, its a smoker..ie..Low and Slow, and that's what its meant to do.  Just like an offset or a crock-pot...Low and Slow thats the name of the game! You'll have some good eats!  Hang in there...!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

KyNola

moresmoke,
Between Pens and WTS you have two of the more knowledgeable members of this forum advising you.  Now that your smoker is functioning properly my two learned friends are giving you great advice.  Preheat first.  A significant amount of cold meat will prevent the heat from building back in a short time.  A brick in the bottom aids in heat recovery.  Water in the bowl being very hot when poured in helps as well.  Keep the vent open.  Smoking is low and slow.

Not much assurance I can give you other than to say to you don't give up so quickly.  Bradley's have a learning curve just like every other thing worth doing well.

Stay with us.  It will be fun I promise.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

Hi Moresmoke;

Welcome to the forum.

This link may help you with your troubleshooting.

Bradley Smoker FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun of smoking

As the others have said its slow and low.
Thats what makes the ribs so moist and tender.
Hang in there, it does have a learning curve but you will get it.

mikecorn.1

WElcome to the form MS. Happy smoking.  :)
Mike

moresmoke

Thanks all for the great advise. I guess I need to change my mindset when it comes to smoking meat on the Bradley. I lived in Texas for 10 years where brisket and ribs are done on big offset smokers with mesquite and the taste is unmatched anywhere else. If I can even come close to doing meat like that, I'll be happy. Definately I agree with low and slow, but why does it have to take so long to get the smoker back to a low 220 degrees? Can a person do some kind of mod on the smoker, like order another heating element and wire it into the electronics so that you have 2 elements bringing the heat back up? I'm sure if it can be done, someone out there has done it.

HawkeyeSmokes

It's been done. Here is a link to one that sounds like it worked well.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=572

I'm sure Mike (Mr Walleye) would answer any questions.
HawkeyeSmokes

Wild_Man

I did that Mod to my 6 rack digital and it works great but I also have a PID controller hooked to mine. If you do the Mod you should have a PID controlling it because the temperature comes up so quick and will go well above the 320 degree
max temperature of the smoker. After I did the Mod I did a test run up to 310 degrees and it only took from 10 to 12 minutes to reach the 310 degree mark. :o

moresmoke

OK, now we're talkin. I like that extra heating element mod. PID controller? I'll have to look that one up. He also mentions putting a circulation fan in there, which I assume helps keep even heat distribution. Is there a write-up on how to do that also? Sorry to be such a pain here folks, but just trying to get my setup tweaked so I can smoke with the best of you. Thanks again.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: moresmoke on August 28, 2009, 08:11:34 PM
OK, now we're talkin. I like that extra heating element mod. PID controller? I'll have to look that one up. He also mentions putting a circulation fan in there, which I assume helps keep even heat distribution. Is there a write-up on how to do that also? Sorry to be such a pain here folks, but just trying to get my setup tweaked so I can smoke with the best of you. Thanks again.

The fan has been done to. Here ya go.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=186
HawkeyeSmokes