• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brand new guy begging for basic insights...

Started by danattherock, August 27, 2009, 08:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danattherock

HR and FLBentRider,

Thanks a bunch. Those are the insights I was needing. Still not sure on the OBS or DBS, but I am leaning towards the OBS and reserving the option to add a Pid in the future if need be. If anyone thinks the DBS would be a better purchase, please tell me why. My ears are WIDE open:)

I plan to order a smoker today!!!

Guessing the 4 rack will be all I need. If anyone would tell me, how many racks of ribs can you cook on a 4 rack compared to a 6 rack? Ribs and pork shoulders are of top interest at this point. I plan to smoke pork shoulders for pulled pork sandwiches. I also plan on making lots of ribs. Something I have never been able to do on a grill very well. I won't boil ribs. Seems like the smoker is the obvious choice. Assuming I was feeding 6-8 people ribs, curious if the 4 rack would be big enough. Thanks for all the help guys/gals. I greatly appreciate it.

Dan
"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask"

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Danattherock and you are most welcome. This is what this forum is all about just ask away.

I am not 100% sure but almost 99.99% that the only 6 rack smoker in the bradley family is the digital 6 rack. I am not sure about the Jim Beam but I think it is only 4 racks.

So in the question of how many racks, I am pretty sure that you would have the BDS versus all others to decide from.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Mr Walleye

Dan

I regularly smoke 6 racks of ribs in my 4 rack Bradley. Certainly with the large load you want to make sure you preheat well to help with temp recovery. I'm not sure on the 6 rack Bradley but I would assume you could get 9 full racks of ribs in it. Of course both the 4 & 6 rack Bradleys have the same size heating element so I would assume with the larger load in the 6 rack temp recovery would be a little bit slower.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

BigJohnT

I'm doing a couple of slabs of 10.5 short ribs today... I imagine you can get two per tray in there. I'll take some pics when I load it up.

John

danattherock

I would love to see pics of the ribs. That is the first thing I am smoking!!

I just got off Amazon, Auber Instruments website, and Yard and Pool website. I ordered the stainless OBS for $375, 60 pack (variety biscuettes) x2, two smoking books, three bubba pucks, Maverick 73 thermometer, and the plug and play temp controller PID ($149). Now I just need to figure out what to do with all these new toys. Ha ha ha... I should be set up now and can't wait to give it a go. Thanks for helping me out. I do appreciate your time and thoughts. I will be sure to post some pics on the forum of any success/failures. I will expect a bit of a learning curve. Ribs will be first up. Thanks again!!

Dan
"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask"

Mr Walleye

Dan

When I do ribs I remove the membrane and rub them down, preheat the Bradley to about 260 degrees. Once I load the ribs I adjust the temp to 220 and I begin applying about 3hours of smoke for my taste. I usually have the vent at least 1/2 open. You will probably want to do a rack rotation about halfway through. Once the 3 hours of smoke is complete I let them continue for 1 more hour without smoke. Then I put them into a foil roaster, add a splash of AJ, cover with foil and throw them back into the smoker at 220 for another 2 to 3 hours. After this I will put them on the grill just long enough to sauce them. They turn out very tasty and tender every time.

10.5 did a nice write up on ribs over on the recipe site. Here is the link.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=920#post920

Mike 

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Quote from: danattherock on August 29, 2009, 11:31:02 AM
Now I just need to figure out what to do with all these new toys. Ha ha ha...

;D Just get to smoking. I have the original in stainless also.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I can put a bunch of ribs in the four rack. I have eight racks, and if you invert one over the other, there is enough clearance for a rack of ribs.

So that would be eight racks of baby backs or about six of St. Louis or spare ribs.

Check out this rib recipe - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=980#post980
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

CarolinaCooker

I bought the original smoker about 2 months ago. Don't have a PID, Don't really need it. Have made pulled pork using a shoulder(cheap meat, lots of fat) comes out tender and juicy. Ribs, falling off the bone. You do have to play with the temp a bit but if you get the ET73 dual thermometer you can bring the receiver in the house with you to check if you have to adjust it. It will also tell you when the meat reaches temp. All in all I love this thing and it's really easy to cook with.
As far as temp changes, if you do a pork shoulder it will take about 16 hours so if the temp goes up 10 degrees for an hour it's not really going to matter much. Having a PID will make it a little easier but I don't think its worth the extra bucks myself. But thats up to you.