• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

bricks in the smoker

Started by sterlingpriceporker, November 14, 2009, 09:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Thanks for the info JGW.  I did a search as you recommended.  It's certainly pricey compared to cast iron but not nearly as high as some of the Calphalon or enamel coated cast iron pots.  I will be sticking with the cast iron for now.  Most 'modern' people can't believe that a well seasoned cast iron skillet is pretty close to non-stick.

Thanks again.  It's nice to learn something new.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

meatgeek

I put my brick unwrapped on the top shelf.  It's a big ol' leftover paver, so that was a bonus.  I placed it on the top shelf, as I didn't want grease dripping on it, and I thought by having something warm on top it would even out the cabinet temperature a little (so I wouldn't worry about needing to rotate racks).  Have I timed my temp recoveries, or my upper vs lower rack temps with and without the brick?  No, not yet, but it SEEMS to help.

Perhaps an experiment is in order....

ArnieM

I put my bricks low for two reasons.  One, they're closer to the heating element and hopefully get heated up more.  Two, heat rises.  Again, hopefully, that helps.  Now if only I could fit a cement block in there ...  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.